RadioBanter

-   -   Buyer Seller Beware Scam Alert (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/51236-buyer-seller-beware-scam-alert.html)

Panzer240 October 29th 03 10:25 PM

"PowerHouse CB & Scanner" wrote
in :

"Panzer240" wrote in message

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until
the cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the
radio gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first
and wait for the cheque........... more fool you :) !!!!

When the check comes back as invalid, or forged, the bank is going to
come knocking on your account to get that hot little cash back from
you...

PH

I thought about that :) Probably would insist the bank verify that the
cheque was good before I even considered sending out the gear. Then there
is the larcenous thought, cash the cheque and forget to send the gear and
difference ;) because, if on the surface, it appears too good to be true,
it probably is too good to be true LOL. As they say In God we trust, all
others pay cash.

heheheheh
--
Panzer

AA October 29th 03 10:35 PM

If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ???

Because you are responsible for that cheque, even if it should be determined
false 8, 10, 12 weeks later .....and therein lies the scam. Now, if the bank
accepts it with "NO RECOURSE" written on the back, that MAY protect you...have
to ask the wife, she works in the fraud section of a major US bank. I DO know
that a international certified cheque may take up to 8 weeks to properly
clear, so I'd not ship a thing until I get a full-blown "green light" from the
bank.

Dee D. Flint October 29th 03 11:20 PM

"Panzer240" wrote in message
"Marvin Moss" wrote in
ink.net:

Very strange. I, too, had a gentleman from England offer me a third
party cashier's check for $5000 for a $1500 rig I was trying to sell and
he wanted me to send the difference to him along with the rig. I even
answered him with "no deal".
Boy, was I stupid to even answer him like a gentleman.

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first and wait
for the cheque........... more fool you :) !!!!

--
Panzer

Because it actually takes several weeks for it to be proven valid. The poor
sucker ships the radio after a week or two and the valid Western Union
moneygram. Then afterwards, he is notified by his bank that this third
party cashier's check is no good the deposit is removed from the account.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Yuri Blanarovich October 30th 03 01:25 AM

Fricken ba$tard gets rig for free and $3500 cash. Not a bad deal eh?
Tell him to eF (finance) himself :-)

And then you get "better" deals from Nigeria or other rapidly developing
country, we are talking millions man!

BUm

Jim October 30th 03 02:02 AM

And, as usual, just listen to your GUT INSTINCTS! Most folks looking for
SOMETHING for nothing, GET NOTHING for something!
Keep in mind: the best way to QUADRUPLE your money, is to fold it in HALF,
TWICE !!! Jim - NN7K

Gary S. October 30th 03 04:16 AM

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:37:39 GMT, Panzer240
wrote:

"Marvin Moss" wrote in
link.net:

Very strange. I, too, had a gentleman from England offer me a third
party cashier's check for $5000 for a $1500 rig I was trying to sell and
he wanted me to send the difference to him along with the rig. I even
answered him with "no deal".
Boy, was I stupid to even answer him like a gentleman.

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first and wait
for the cheque........... more fool you :) !!!!

Can't the check bounce?

A fake cashiers check won't last long in your account.

These scams generally appeal to the victim's greed for an extralegal
bit of money.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

ham October 30th 03 04:44 AM

The SCAM is well known and documented many places if you do a bit of
searching.

The "cashier's check" whether third party or not is a forgery albeit a very
good one.

It's deposited by you and you believe after a reasonable time that all is well
since your bank accepted it and it hasn't been returned so you send the $$$
difference and the rig.

A few weeks later after going through the steps of the financial system it
appears back at your bank as no good and your account is debited for the full
amount.

You are left WITHOUT YOUR RIG and WITHOUT THE $$$ YOU SENT as "change" for the
forged check which was for more than the original amount.

verrando October 30th 03 06:19 AM

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first and wait
for the cheque........... more fool you :) !!!!

Because in a week your bank will inform you that the check was a fraud. They
will then hold you accountable for the funds.

--
Panzer

john graesser October 30th 03 10:07 AM

"Panzer240" wrote in message
"Marvin Moss" wrote in
ink.net:

Very strange. I, too, had a gentleman from England offer me a third
party cashier's check for $5000 for a $1500 rig I was trying to sell and
he wanted me to send the difference to him along with the rig. I even
answered him with "no deal".
Boy, was I stupid to even answer him like a gentleman.

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first and wait
for the cheque........... more fool you :) !!!!

The problem isn't cashing the check, it is in getting the check to clear. If
you would wait for the check to actually clear, then it would come back bad
and you would be out $50 or whatever your bank charges for bad checks.

Not to mention the problems you get into if you get indicted for money
laundering or anything else that can happen in international money
transfers.
thanks, John.
KC5DWD

Alex V Flinsch October 30th 03 11:22 AM

On or about Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:37:39 +0000, Panzer240
wrote about the following in article
:

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first and wait
for the cheque........... more fool you :) !!!!

It works this way

The check is deposited, and since it is a cashiers check/money order it is
immediately credited to the account.

The rig & excess cash are shipped out

Three days later it is determined that the check/money order is
counterfeit and the funds are removed from the account.

The depositor is now out the extra funds and the rig

--
Alex / AB2RC
ft100 software for Linux http://www.qsl.net/kc2ivl