Old October 30th 03, 11:52 AM
Steven LeBlanc

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:37:39 GMT, Panzer240
wrote:

"Marvin Moss" wrote in
link.net:

Very strange. I, too, had a gentleman from England offer me a third
party cashier's check for $5000 for a $1500 rig I was trying to sell and
he wanted me to send the difference to him along with the rig. I even
answered him with "no deal".
Boy, was I stupid to even answer him like a gentleman.

Hmmmm...... I musy be getting thick in my old age. If you wait until the
cheque shows up, have the cash in your hot little hand, then the radio
gets sent out, where's the scam ??? Now if you were to ship first and wait
for the cheque........... more fool you !!!!

It is a scam. A friend of mine ran into the same thing. He got the
check and a letter stating there was a mistake at the bank. I told him
to beware as I had read something on one of the news groups about a
scam that was like this.

He went to the bank and explained it to the teller. She looked it
over and told him it was a good check. He told her no ofence intended
but he would like to talk to the manager just to make sure everything
was OK. After a few minutes with the manager (I forgot to mention he
went to a branch of the issuing bank), the manager pulled out one of
there checks, and looked it over. Then he started to point out very
subtle differences in the check. He then told my friend that it was a
forgery.

He had my friend fill out a complaint for that would be passed on to
the federal authorities. He was also told that if he had just gone to
his own bank and cashed it, then sent this fellow his money. HE would
have been responsible for it. The check was for $5000 and the deal
was for a $1200 computer. He could have been charged with forgery.
Spent time in jail, and been made to pay back the value of the check.

Usually the buyer states that he will arrange the pickup of the item
in question, but know one ever shows up. They are not intrested in the
item. They just want the cash from a valid cashiers check.

If they don't get it, there hope is you were dishonest and cashed it
and kept they money. Then you'll get charged and they are basicly in
the clear.

Old November 23rd 03, 12:17 AM
kf4tun

"Marvin Moss" wrote in

--
Panzer

Three to five weeks after you have cashed the check and shipped the radio,
your bank informs you that the check was return as no good. You are out the
radio plus its shipping cost, the money you returned to the buyer. Plus, you
now owe your bank the full amount of the of the returned check alone with
any charges incured by them.

Jim

---

Buyer Seller Beware Scam Alert Its Me Again ! Scanner 3 October 29th 03 07:37 PM
buyer beware ebay coal-76 Jerry Swap 3 October 19th 03 06:15 AM
Scam Alert swiftpay or swiftSpay or swiftASpay scam alert Policy 0 July 23rd 03 09:01 PM
Scam Alert swiftpay or swiftSpay or swiftASpay scam alert Swap 0 July 23rd 03 09:01 PM
Beware of $2 of RSGB Sign Up Scam Scam Alert Policy 0 July 18th 03 05:02 AM