Old November 25th 03, 05:14 PM
Browning Mark FourA

Default FOR SALE!! 10,000 Watt CB RADIO AMP

har har LOL,you didn't really think.............nah cmon
now........... :O)

remove SPAMSUCKS to reply
Old November 26th 03, 04:11 AM
Michael White

har har LOL,you didn't really think.............nah cmon now...........
:O)

A ham friend of mine actually did have an old Harris commerical amp that
would run an honest 5,000 watts. His transceiver was opened up for
transmitting, and he was idly tuning around the citizen's band. He heard
some guy who had just gotten an old FT-101 cooking on CB, and was saying:

"Hey all you 5 watt pukes out there, this is what One...Hundred...Watts
sounds like!"

My friend fired up the Harris and hollered into the mic:

"Hey all you hundred watt pukes out there, this is what
Five...Thousand...Watts sounds like!"

The CBer declined to answer.

True story.

Old November 26th 03, 06:50 AM
Photodano1

"Hey all you hundred watt pukes out there, this is what
Five...Thousand...Watts sounds like!"

The CBer declined to answer.

True story.

I would not be surprised!
Old November 26th 03, 06:52 AM
Photodano1

Sold! YOU pay for shipping? )
Old November 26th 03, 06:52 AM
Rick Frazier

'knew someone that was involved in installation of large amplifiers (10KW)
for CDNARS (Civil Defense National Alert Readiness System) some 25 years
ago...

It seems that there was this installation in an underground vault near Denton
Texas, and a rather nice antenna farm not too far away that could be
controlled from the vault... The friend also didn't like the high power CB
crowd in the area as they had been getting more than a bit out of band....
Someone claiming to have a kilowatt mobile was parked across the street from
the CDNARS station, and kept pressing his luck... This guy just wouldn't
quit, moving from channel to channel and blasting innocent people with his
brand of "i'm louder, and therefore better than you". After an afternoon of
finding this guy splattering all over the bands, the friend connected a
large, gain antenna, and after repeated requests and warnings to clear the
frequency, took the matter into his own hands and pumped 10KW straight down
this guy's throat, right on his frequency..... Somehow, it seemed to affect
his equipment, as he quit transmitting and wasn't heard again for the better
part of a month at least (beyond that, the friend had moved on to another
site, so doesn't know beyond that time). There was a rumor that there was a
release of smoke from the mobile, but I'm not all that sure how or how much.
(Now, how he had a kilowatt in a mobile vehicle 25 years ago stretches my
belief a bit, but it's still a good story).

Even if he was blowing smoke up _my_ a**, it's still fun to think that
someone got theirs, even if the means wasn't within reasonable bounds. Of
course, taking matters into your own hands wouldn't be legally or politically
correct....

--Rick

Old November 26th 03, 06:55 AM
KC2FTN

Hmmm...nice little exciter.

Old November 26th 03, 07:19 AM
Steven Onines

Back when younger, and much dumber...I was a navigator on an EC-135, command
post aircraft. Had a HF control head at my crew station. Could put out
1000 watts on a wire antenna about 200+ feet long. All this at 25,000+
feet.

Wasn't a ham back then but knew that 27185 was CB channel 19.

Yep, I used it. Yes, it did get out just fine. I could 'blanket' an entire
state with one transmission. Every trucker in 300 miles would be on the
channel asking "what was that?"

One guy answered with a conformation that I was 'making the trip'. He said
"I don't even have my antenna connected and your pegging the needle".

Old November 26th 03, 02:19 PM
Noon-Air

major snippage

(Now, how he had a kilowatt in a mobile vehicle 25 years ago stretches my
belief a bit, but it's still a good story).

Many years ago, I have a talked with a couple of folks that were running a
KW out of their cars. Yes it WAS on the ham bands. As I recall, one of them
had a problem with the amp in the trunk getting too warm and occasionaly
shutting down on him.
Another ran 75m mobile with a KW an a serious homebrew antenna.... the
corona ball on his antenna was a copper float ball out of a toilet tank.
:-)

-n6ojn

--
Steve @ Noon-Air Heating and A/C

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you,
do not look for any other standard to judge by:
the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
- -- La Bruyere

Old November 27th 03, 08:34 PM
137Hawaii

Wasn't a ham back then but knew that 27185 was CB channel 19.

Yep, I used it. Yes, it did get out just fine. I could 'blanket' an

entire
state with one transmission. Every trucker in 300 miles would be on the
channel asking "what was that?"

One guy answered with a conformation that I was 'making the trip'. He

said
"I don't even have my antenna connected and your pegging the needle".

Goes to show how elevation is radios strongest amplifier.

Old November 28th 03, 03:17 PM
Nick Marsh

How about putting one of the USAF GHFS stations on 27.185 at 10KW?

Been there, done that, long time ago......

Nick