Old December 14th 03, 07:49 AM
Hamguy

Default Bye Bye CW

Just because my Great Grandfather had to 'crank start' his car, we should
ALL have to learn how to do it prior to driving. And his wife had to use a
'crank style' telephone, therefore we ALL should have to master that
technology PRIOR to using a cell-phone just because they did. Additionally,
we should ALL have to learn the computer language known as 'Basic' or
'Fortran' PRIOR to using a PC because I and so many others had to learn it.
And EVERYONE should be required to learn an antiquated mode known as CW
before they get on HF because some 18th century guy invented it. Either
catch-up with the times, or get the HELL out of the way! Like it or not,
CW is TOAST!

Old December 14th 03, 08:44 AM
ergo

US of A Old Fartz will be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st
century.
They will refuse to talk to all the other countries because someone there
might be a no-code general.
"MOVE AHEAD" old men
I glad i have 50.125 [4 more states needed]and sats[MIR, Space Station etc].
Ahahahahaaaa

Old December 14th 03, 08:45 AM
K5IN

Yes, and we all learned to walk before we ran? Riding a horse is still
an approved method of transport the last time I looked. What's to say that
running isn't a approved method of transport too except for those of that
are too lazy to do it. CW maybe antiquated but it still serves a purpose,
if only to motivate the lazy into doing something to gain an end and for
that reason it should be condemned? I think not.

Calculators: they should outlaw the ability to hand write long division or
multiplication? we could go on forever in this way couldn't we. I normally
don't respond to these kind of inflammatory statements but this one was one
I had to write back to as it was so out of bounds. I did it and am of the
opinion even the most lazy can learn 5 words per minute cw.

Old December 14th 03, 09:11 AM
ergo

CODE SUCKS
Repeat 1,000,000 times

Old December 14th 03, 01:31 PM
Noon-Air

"K5IN" wrote in message
[...]

I still use an old mechanical calculator.....its called a slide rule, and
yes I got my General Class License before the no-code novice was in
existance.

Old December 14th 03, 01:49 PM
AO KD5FXT

CW MAY NOT BE FORE EVERYONE... ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO
LEARN IT, BUT THERE ARE THOSE OF US WHO CONSIDER IT AS A GREAT PART OF HAM
RADIO.
KD5FXT
Old December 14th 03, 01:51 PM
Ghost Writer

"Hamguy" wrote in message
[...]

I will go so far to accept the argument against 13/20 WPM code, some are too
lazy to get to that point and yes, SOME did have a hell of a time. But 5
WPM? COME ON. That is child's play. I've seen children learn it with little
problem. I WILL disagree with the "musical ear" theory - that they can pick
it up sooner. I know many musicians who couldn't do it any sooner. BUT with
about a half hour a day OR even just 15 minutes and depending on your time
spent per day, about 2 weeks tops, you can be at 5 WPM. For Christ's sakes,
you studied that long to get your drivers license. Wasn't it worth it? CODE
CAN BE USEFUL. I can think of many scenarios here to insert to show proof,
but it would take too much space. But I'll give one quick example. Surely a
lot of you heard of the Que Creek miners who were trapped for 3 days in PA.
Had one of those guys known CW, they could have relayed even at 5 WPM, much
valuable information. They did relay 9 taps to indicate 9 miners - however,
that is all they could get out of it. It didn't mean they were all alive or
in what condition. It wouldn't hurt to learn it. Most of us use to as a
child, just screwing around. TRY IT! Even if you don't want to go to a
stuffy class room, so be it. There are good tapes and even if you don't want
to invest in those, you can still learn it if you follow the tips offered in
most books. NOT USING DOTS/DASHES. You can still learn the characters
yourself in 2 weeks maybe sooner. Hell, in a couple days, you can start
forming words. Do about 3-5 characters a lesson. Don't choke yourself.
Relax, have fun with it. You'll be amazed how fast you catch on. G.W.

Old December 14th 03, 02:06 PM
K9SQG

Is sailboating dead because we have power boats? Are ocean liners dead because
we have airplanes? Is the bicycle dead because we have automobiles? Do people
stop watching black and white reruns on TV because we have color programs? Do
people stop riding horses because we have cars? Do people stop building hand
crafted furniture because we have power tools? Do people stop going to
libraries because we have the Internet?

Is CW dead?
Should CW be a requirement?
Should we eliminate ham radio because we have cell phones and the Internet?
Should we make it as easy to get a pilot's license as it is to get a ham
license?
Should we make it as easy to get a driver's license as it is to get a ham
license?
Should we make it as easy to get a license to practice medicine as it is to
get a ham license?
Should we make it even easier to get a ham license and still expect orderly
behavior on the air?
Should the FCC's enforcement budget be reduced further and still expect orderly
behavior on the air?
Should ham radio be made narrow rather than allow a broad range of interests?

Just food for thought, not incentive for debate here or elsewhere...
Old December 14th 03, 02:23 PM
Dave Edwards

I WANT A HAM LICENSE, AN I WANT IT EASY!!!
Oh, and can I skip that theory stuff too?
The answers are all in books somewhere, what good does it do to memorize it?
Get with the times....information is on magnetic media, not in brain
matter!!
Now, where did I put that answer sheet to next weeks finals that I paid so
much for??

CW Lives!!
....Dave