Old December 19th 03, 10:12 PM

Default Help on Repeater Ant. To Buy

Here is a problem that I'm having with my Diamond X700.
Hopefully someone can give me some advice on which antenna would suit
my needs best.

Problem:

My Diamond X700 cost me $400. I'm using it for a VHF repeater
antenna.

The problem it causes is every now and then, I get gurgling noises and
crackling in the transmit and it takes out weak signals.

This problem may stay in a few days and be gone for a few days and
then come back again.

It is not my TX RX duplexer. That was already checked out.
I replaced my coax with LMR400. (75 ft. run)
I have even changed repeaters and get the same results.

Someone told me that the Diamond antennaes are NOT good in repeater
service because they whip around and the rods inside do get broken and
cause problems and will not show a bad SWR. My SWR is fine.

Anyone out here have the same problems that I'm having? Do you have
any suggestions on a proper antenna to use?

I do have one suggestion and that was to get a Decibel products DB 224
antenna. Their website shows it as 6 DB gain where my Diamond is 9
DB.
I'm afraid that I will lose my receive coverage with the lesser DB
gain.

Can anyone comment on the Decibel product? Any help and suggestions
would be appreciated.

Or if you can suggest any other antenna that could be used for
repeater use at my home.

Old December 20th 03, 12:15 AM
Paul Vanasse

wrote in message
The problem it causes is every now and then, I get gurgling noises and
crackling in the transmit and it takes out weak signals.

Does this happen after a rainstorm?

There is an internal coil at the base of your antenna (including a tapping
capacitor). If water is entering the casing of the antenna, you will have
problems (regardless of being used as a repeater antenna or not).

Old December 20th 03, 02:03 PM
Andy Blackburn

First of all, I recommend the DB 224 as a repeater antenna any day over a
Diamond antenna.
The DB 224 is a true 6db over a dipole and is the workhorse antenna in the
2-way commercial industry.

The Diamond just says 9db.....over what????? What does the 9db reference
to.?

Many import antennas make exagerated claims of gain, and your system is
virtually useless as it is now.
Go with the DB 224. You will be happy with the results.

Andy

Old December 20th 03, 10:35 PM
Paul Vanasse

"Glenn Ziolkowski" wrote in message
Amateur grade antennas do not have the mechanical durability to
withstand typical repeater service. Likely what you have is
wind-induced stress at some internal mechanical connections that
manifests itself as the crackling noises.

Have you ever taken apart a Station Master or Phelps Dodge commercial
antenna? Neither one of them is internally very different from my $79.95
Workman brand knock-off of a Comet or Diamond. Antennas are antennas,
whether they are being used for a police dept. repeater or seldom used
amateur packet station.

I agree on your assessment however. The culprit is either loose joints or
water. I'd dismantle the thing and braze every union in place and then
waterproof the casing joints with Seal Tight upon reassembly.

Old December 20th 03, 11:49 PM
N4ATS

Don't think you ever took one apart either. I have 4 of them running ,
there is NO COMPARISON to a "knock off". The station master (144 Mhz) is
a 4 Inch Raydome , 26 foot long with 1/2" tubular dipoles that are
brazed to a center 1/2 trans. It wiegh's almost 40 pounds and is rated
for 90 MPH. It is also a DIRECT GROUND , unlike other claims like
diamond / comet or workman which are DC ground through a capacitor that
"blows apart" on strikes...Get your facts right...

N4ATS

Old December 21st 03, 12:01 AM
Ed G.

Don't think you ever took one apart either. I have 4 of them running
, there is NO COMPARISON to a "knock off". The station master (144
Mhz) is a 4 Inch Raydome , 26 foot long with 1/2" tubular dipoles
that are brazed to a center 1/2 trans. It wiegh's almost 40 pounds
and is rated for 90 MPH. It is also a DIRECT GROUND , unlike other
claims like diamond / comet or workman which are DC ground through a
capacitor that "blows apart" on strikes...Get your facts right...

N4ATS

Thanks for the (above) clarification, N4ATS. I was about to make the
same comment to the original poster before you beat me to it. There is
little physical comparison between top-notch commercially constructed
antennas and ham stuff!

Ed WB6SAT
Old December 21st 03, 03:13 AM
Paul Vanasse

"N4ATS" wrote in message newse5Fb.2687 unlike other
claims like
diamond / comet or workman which are DC ground through a capacitor that
"blows apart" on strikes...Get your facts right...

OK Mr. Facts. Explain how does your commercial Station Master resonate
"better" than any other amateur antenna? 1st off your direct ground means
squat when it comes to VHF/UHF antenna performance, all it does is provide a
lower resistance path for discharges (which is terrible for the radio unless
all the grounds are tied together).

On VHF/UHF a sealed brazed piece of #12 copper wire is just as durable as
your 1/2" tubular aluminum (not to mention electrically superior). You must
be one of those guys that actually believes that because an antenna is $500,
it actually performs better................NOT.

PS: My "knockoff" antenna has been servicing a repeater superbly for the
past three years (its also on the highest communications tower in the state
of RI).

Old December 21st 03, 05:52 PM
Wade

I had a friend who used the Diamond X700 antenna for a mountain top
repeater setup. He bought it because of its ruggedness. He had the very
same complaints with it that you are having. He had to tear it down every
few months and clean and resolder poor connections. He still uses it today
as a remote base antenna - as you mentioned, it works fine in simplex
configuration.

I have since built 2 repeater systems and opted for the Comet GP-9 to
test their performance. I was amazed at the results - not only have they
performed well but they have been running mainenance free for over 4 years
now. For the severe high wind/ice environments they make a non-conductive
PVC type support arm that you can secure the middle of the antenna with.
This obviously requires the Antenna to be mounted on a side-arm instead of
at the top of the tower, I know of one in this configuration running
succesfully with excellent results on a mountain top for quite some time.
The Comet costs less than the Diamond as well. Mine were about $175.00.

The Cell-Wave or Phelps Dodge or Folded Dipole type antennas are much more
durable and obviously better built antennas but usually way more expensive.
Unless you can score a used one cheap.

Wade - KR7K

Old December 21st 03, 05:58 PM
N4ATS

No one said it resonates better. Hopeless to try to argue with you...You
obviously have no clue to what you are talking about...You win....

N4ATS

Old December 21st 03, 08:24 PM
Ed G.

No one said it resonates better. Hopeless to try to argue with
you...You obviously have no clue to what you are talking about...You
win....

.... don't sweat it. Just remember that someone has to be at the
bottom of the Bell Curve.

Ed WB6SAT

HELP: 2 meter repeater intermod problem from pager transmitters Photoman General 5 December 26th 04 08:27 PM
HELP: 2 Meter Repearter intermod from 2 Pager transmitters near repeater site Photoman Equipment 12 December 22nd 04 06:17 PM
HELP: 2 Meter Repearter intermod from 2 Pager transmitters near repeater site Photoman Equipment 0 December 21st 04 01:48 AM
CW Testing Question Mike Coslo Policy 52 May 29th 04 09:24 AM
Repeater experts....HELP! me Equipment 18 February 25th 04 05:05 AM