Old February 14th 04, 02:09 AM
SomeDetritus

Default FA: Hallicrafters SX-62A Mark 2A Receiver

I have a Hallicrafters SX-62A and some other radio stuff for auction on eBay.

The URL with pictures is

and the description is

This is the Mark 2A version of the legendary SX-62A General Coverage Receiver,
which is listed in Fred Osterman's "Receivers Past and Present" (3rd edition,
see page 169) as "scarce." This example is in extremely good to excellent
condition, with one small scratch and one small dent in the front bezel being
the only flaws I can see. All knobs original (even the often-lost pointer-reset
knob) with no splits, cracks or missing pieces. One of the photos shows a small
amount of corrosion on the chassis near the "Mark 2A" stamp; the remainder of
the chassis is in fine shape with no corrosion. Oh yes and someone wrote the
serial number on the front but I believe that will clean off okay. I bought
this to restore but have too many projects so I'll leave the restoration to the
next lucky owner. Sold as-is: will need TLC, re-capping and re-alignment. Power
transformer is good. Includes a cabinet with a VERY UGLY black paint job: this
should be stripped and re-painted. I rack-mount all my radios and had this fine
unit in a rack waiting for restoration, so I wasn't too concerned with the
ugliness of the cabinet. Frequency coverage is from the standard AM band to 109
MHz. Six position selectivity switch, 10 watts audio out, AM, CW, and FM.
Outstanding audio fidelity. 16 tubes. Production year 1955-63. Many
Hallicrafters general-coverage receivers, and even the top-line SX-101/101A,
had what became something of a trademark for this company, namely the giant,
etched glass, slide-rule dial. The largest such dial was on this popular
SX-62A, an entertainment receiver which covers .540 to 109 MHz, continuously.
The dial on this example is in excellent condition, unlike many you will find
with the lettering peeling and otherwise separating from the glass. This is a
living room version of the turret dialed SX-42, which was itself derived from
countermeasures receivers made in the war. The '62 has the classic, shortwave
dial, reminiscent of what Zenith put on the Trans-Oceanic, covered as it was
with markers for Rome, Paris, Moscow, and other cities. The crystal filter does
a nice job on the shortwave bands, and it's also a great set for MW AM DX, with
the right antenna.

Closes Sunday 2/22/04.

Also have a Heath Cheyenne and a TenTec Signalizer up for auction; please check
my other auctions.

Thank you.