Old March 13th 04, 07:05 AM
Hamguy

Default eHam...GEEZ!

WOW...the censureship, the deletion of folks' Product Reviews , and eHams
inability to stand-up to being a 'puppet' for the Big Boys. eHam now wants
your money too!
Product Review Changes
Bill Fisher (W4AN) on March 12, 2004
View comments about this article!

Recently I implemented a change to the Product Reviews area of this site to
limit access to most review details to only eHam.net subscribers. These are
people who have contributed to the site operations. The reason for the
change was quite simply to increase the number of subscribers and the
resulting cash for operations.

This site is dedicated to amateur radio... a hobby. However, it is painfully
obvious that a good percentage of the users of this site think that a Web
site about a hobby, should also be a hobby. That some how it should be made
available to everyone for free. Well, I've personally reached a point where
I'm unable and unwilling to personally finance this site's hosting. I'm also
unable and unwilling to discount my time. I feel really bad saying so
considering all of the managers on the site do their jobs with little or no
compensation. But, they figure in to this decision as well.

I apologize for not announcing this change ahead of time. For now, I've
removed the restrictions on the Product Reviews. Please feel free to comment
here or in our Site Talk forum on this subject. After we have reviewed
everyone's thoughts, we'll attack this again. Regardless, something will be
implemented that will affect change in the number of subscribers.

Thanks for your patience and consideration.

73 Bill Fisher, W4AN

Old March 13th 04, 06:39 PM
J999w

Oh well, so much for that site.

The reason for the
change was quite simply to increase the number of subscribers and the
resulting cash for operations.

I thought that's what advertisers are for?

jw
wb9uai
Old March 15th 04, 01:39 AM
Ed G

I thought that's what advertisers are for?

Haven't you noticed how most cable TV channels have advertisers, yet
you have to pay for the service, too?

Ed
Old March 15th 04, 05:47 AM
Ronny Julian

The advertisers do not come close to paying for the expenses of most upstart
websites that have a narrow focus such as ham radio. You guys forget we are
a very small amount of the population still. I know one site in the
aftermarket car/truck hobby/industry that this was done at and after all the
grumbling people got over the few bucks it cost to be a member they found it
was worth it because the guys used the $ to make the site better. I hope he
does this.

You know the old saying, if you don't like this website, HTML can be written
in any text editor... GO for IT!!

.248...

Old March 15th 04, 03:30 PM
J999w

My question is ... just how many websites can a person afford to subscribe to?
Add that to cable TV, internet, etc.

It's just not practical !

jw
wb9uai

Old March 15th 04, 08:06 PM
Mike Coslo

J999w wrote:
My question is ... just how many websites can a person afford to subscribe to?
Add that to cable TV, internet, etc.

It's just not practical !

That's pretty much it jw. Eham is quite welcome to go to a paid
service. I wish them luck. The web is changing from the fun and open
early days. Even trying to search the web is now pretty weird, what with
my first several hit's being to other search engine sites that try to
get me to subscribe to something.

As for myself, I'll pass on joining up with them. It's too bad, but
that's the way it goes sometimes. If I have to start paying for every
place I go to, I'll just spend more time on the air!! 8^)

- mike KB3EIA -

Old March 16th 04, 04:24 AM
J999w

If I have to start paying for every
place I go to, I'll just spend more time on the air!! 8^)

- mike KB3EIA -

I'm right there with you ... see 'ya on 40 !

jw
wb9uai

What happened to EHam ?? HK Equipment 6 April 19th 04 04:52 PM
What happened to EHam ?? HK Equipment 0 April 19th 04 02:58 AM