Old October 17th 04, 12:48 AM
AL G.

Default Need: Assist Icom panel lamps--

Anyone have experience using bright LED's to replace 'wheat germ' size
lamps for backpanel lighting.
Have an IC-735 with no display panel backlighting, am doing a freebee repair
for ol' timer in Florida. 'al'

Old October 17th 04, 05:15 AM
Ed

Anyone have experience using bright LED's to replace 'wheat germ'
size lamps for backpanel lighting.
Have an IC-735 with no display panel backlighting, am doing a freebee
repair for ol' timer in Florida. 'al'

Be cautious using "bright" LEDs for that job. It may make the
backlight too bright! I've replaced wheat germ bulbs with standard
yellow LEDs on a couple occasions with good success. I just measured the
voltage going to the old Wheat germ bulb and inserted a resistor of
proper value in series with the new LED to give me about 5 or 10 mA
through the LED.

Ed K7AAT

Old October 17th 04, 12:53 PM
Joe

Dremel or cut the lens down as close as you can to the LED chip (5000 mcd
white output led) and 470 to 1K series resistor.
Use 2 or a 180 degree diffuser www.mouser.com

-Joe

"AL G." wrote in message
Anyone have experience using bright LED's to replace 'wheat germ' size
lamps for backpanel lighting.
Have an IC-735 with no display panel backlighting, am doing a freebee

repair
for ol' timer in Florida. 'al'

---