Old December 1st 04, 12:53 PM
Dr. Al Link

Default Equipment Condition Ten Scale Rating Chart

The Ten-Scale Rating Chart

10 NEW
9 AS NEW/MINT
8 EXCELLENT
7 GOOD
6 HIGH AVERAGE
5 AVERAGE
4 LOW AVERAGE
3 POOR
2 BAD
1 JUNK

Details at www.uregs.org

Old December 1st 04, 01:01 PM
Bill M

Dr. Al Link wrote:
The Ten-Scale Rating Chart

10 NEW
9 AS NEW/MINT
8 EXCELLENT
7 GOOD
6 HIGH AVERAGE
5 AVERAGE
4 LOW AVERAGE
3 POOR
2 BAD
1 JUNK

Details at www.uregs.org

10 I GOT IT AT THE ESTATE SALE OF A RETIRED ENGINEER
9 I GOT IT AT THE ESTATE SALE OF A RETIRED 'HAMM'
10 EXCELLENT CONDITION FOR ITS AGE
9 I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT
11 EXTREMELY RARE, IVE NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE

-Bill

Old December 1st 04, 02:59 PM
COLIN LAMB

The Other 10

10 All the knobs are there
9 All the knobs are there but some are broken
8 Some of the knobs are missing
7 Fewer than 3 rust spots on the cabinet
6 Only a couple of rust spots on the face
5 Oil coming out of the transformer
4 What transformer
3 Mouse nest inside
2 Some parts may be salvageable
1 Archeologists have identified this item

Colin K7FM

---

Old December 1st 04, 03:12 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

COLIN LAMB wrote:

The Other 10

10 All the knobs are there
9 All the knobs are there but some are broken
8 Some of the knobs are missing
7 Fewer than 3 rust spots on the cabinet
6 Only a couple of rust spots on the face
5 Oil coming out of the transformer
4 What transformer
3 Mouse nest inside
2 Some parts may be salvageable
1 Archeologists have identified this item

LOL - this is more what I think of when reading many "it's an 8 out of
10" descriptions...

But it does make me wonder what it would take to put together a picture
grading scale. Pictures of 10 radios of the same model in condition 1 to
10 so that those grading and those trying to use the grades would have
something in common to compare to.

but then I guess that would be just about as subjective as words to some
folks... "sure this one has more rust - but it's not as bad a place".

never mind
--
Sherry
Old December 1st 04, 03:23 PM
BFoelsch

"Randy or Sherry Guttery" wrote in message
COLIN LAMB wrote:

[...]

You just don't understand....ANYTHING that is missing or worn off makes the
item less expensive to ship, and that is a good thing. That is why I always
remove the mouse nest as a favor to the buyer, so he doesn't pay for
shipping the extra weight. But the buyer REALLY gets his money's worth when
I remove the heavy stuff; power transformer, speaker, cabinet. Then I can
ship a perfectly good unit for almost nothing..................

You'd think more people would understand and appreciate this......

Old December 1st 04, 04:45 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

BFoelsch wrote:

You just don't understand....ANYTHING that is missing or worn off makes the
item less expensive to ship, and that is a good thing. That is why I always
remove the mouse nest as a favor to the buyer, so he doesn't pay for
shipping the extra weight. But the buyer REALLY gets his money's worth when
I remove the heavy stuff; power transformer, speaker, cabinet. Then I can
ship a perfectly good unit for almost nothing..................

You'd think more people would understand and appreciate this......

Of course! I ALWAYS pull the power transformer out of 390's when
shipping - I just don't understand why people get so excited when they
discover it missing -

I mean - I really did intend to send it along separately - I guess I
just got busy and forgot!
--
Sherry
Old December 1st 04, 04:06 PM
Dr. Al Link

All:

I gave the picture scale some thought but, unfortunately, a pictured rating
scale would only show how it LOOKS, not how it works.

However, pictures would help, in many cases, where meanings are subjective.
For example, to show what is meant by "significant rust" as apposed to "some
rust." Working on this feature now.

Cheers,

Dr. Al Link

139 Turner Circle
Greenville SC 29609
864 420-4652
Visit:
www.K4ICL.com

Share your knowledge with fellow hams.

=============

Old December 2nd 04, 02:34 AM
COLIN LAMB

Upon reflection and other posts, I realize that I left out tobacco and tar
resins.

Some people consider that a negative - but I have never seen a chassis
covered in tar which is rusty. So, the tobacco resins must serve as a rust
preventative.

Therefore, those using my suggested rating system should add a "+" sign to
the numerical rating to indicate an ehancement.

73, Colin K7FM

---

Old December 2nd 04, 01:25 AM
Scott Dorsey

What about "WORKS GOOD BUT ALL TUBES MISSING" and "CRISPY MINT UNTESTED?"

Strictly speaking "RARE!!!!" is not a condition code, nor is "JUST LIKE NEVE!!!"
but they are unfortunately used in place of conditions.

Also of course is the "EMBEDDED IN TOBACCO RESIDUE."
--scott

Old December 1st 04, 09:10 PM
K3HVG

My favorite is "good condition for its age...." Now what the $%#@ does