Old December 4th 04, 04:52 PM
Mel A. Nomah

Default A question about etiquette

I am helping a nursing-home-bound elderly ham sell off his equipment. Some
of it is old equipment of "collector" status which I have no idea of the
value. Trying to find out a proper starting price for eBay auction, I asked
on a QTH.NET reflector of that brand for estimates of the reasonable value,
but did not ask for bids.

Got several private responses, one of which was a bid for one of the items.
The bid to me seems more than fair and we'd be happy to sell the item at
that price, but I feel uncomfortable that others didn't get a chance to bid.
At the same time, I don't want to look like we're trying to raise the price
of the item.

Would it be ethical for us to tell the group that we have a bid for the item
(not revealing the amount of the bid) and ask others who wish to send
private bids also? If we do that, should we give the original bidder a
chance to match any higher bid?

How can we be fair here, without starting a food-fight and looking like
we're trying to "milk it for all it's worth"?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old December 4th 04, 05:10 PM
Noise From Afar

For rough price guides see URLs:

E-Bay Prices Realized -- Via Hampedia
Also try E-Bay Prices -- Both current and completed auctions
Phils Page -- Price Guide -- Vintage Radios & Electronic Test Equipment
Used Gear Prices -- De Ja News (Google) -- Type in the nomenclature of the
gear
The S.M.A.R.T.S. BOOK -- Secondary Market Pricing Book for Amateur Radio
Enthusiasts

--
ruido de icógnito

ink.net...

Old December 4th 04, 09:28 PM
patgkz

Forget all that pricing-game crap. Take the money and run....the poor guy
will be in the ground by the time you and others are done bickering about
pricing, ebay, sell history, blah, blah.

Whatever extra money you get, and for all your efforts to get it....remember
that the Nursing Home will get most of the $$$ in the end.

"Noise From Afar" wrote in message
For rough price guides see URLs:

E-Bay Prices Realized -- Via Hampedia
Also try E-Bay Prices -- Both current and completed auctions
Phils Page -- Price Guide -- Vintage Radios & Electronic Test Equipment
Used Gear Prices -- De Ja News (Google) -- Type in the nomenclature of the
gear
The S.M.A.R.T.S. BOOK -- Secondary Market Pricing Book for Amateur Radio
Enthusiasts

--
ruido de icógnito

ink.net...

Old December 4th 04, 10:19 PM
Henry Kolesnik

There's nothing wrong with getting top dollar because if you don't and the
buyer gets too good a deal, he'll just sell it and make profit that you
should have made. If you have the time take and need the money take the
time and you'll see what's fair. Very few will pay too much ...You can
always get bottom dollar if you rush.
good luck
Hank WD5JFR
PS I'd like to see what you have for sale, please email me the list.
ink.net...

Old December 4th 04, 11:26 PM
Tony VE6MVP

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:19:28 GMT, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

There's nothing wrong with getting top dollar because if you don't and the
buyer gets too good a deal, he'll just sell it and make profit that you
should have made. If you have the time take and need the money take the
time and you'll see what's fair. Very few will pay too much ...You can
always get bottom dollar if you rush.

I'd agree with this sentiment.

looking like we're trying to "milk it for all it's worth"?

That's the name of the game when it comes to auctions.

Tony

Old December 8th 04, 07:47 PM
Mel A. Nomah

"I Smac" wrote in message

: I'm dying to know, what was the piece and what was the offer?

It was a Central Electronics 600L. The offer was $1,000. We left it open
for blind bids for 3 more days, and that offer prevailed.

Old December 12th 04, 05:37 AM
I Smac

A respectable offer on a nice vintage piece.

Old December 5th 04, 01:23 PM
David Stinson

Mel A. Nomah wrote:

How can we be fair here, without starting a food-fight and looking like
we're trying to "milk it for all it's worth"?

An open auction is, by definition, "fair," because no person
is forced to bid more than he does voluntarily.
There is nothing wrong with getting the best price you honestly
can for your friend's assets. In fact, you have an ethical duty
to do so. If, through a misguided sense of guilt about
"profit," you knowingly take less than you could have done
in an honest and fair manner, you have taken that money
from your friend, who needs it.
Describe your items in an honest manner and
allow your buyers to decide what they want to pay.
This serves your friend well and leaves your hands clean.

Secondly- auctioning here will be difficult and
will bring only a fraction of what you could have
gotten for your friend on Ebay. The market on
Ebay is far larger. Ignore the anti-Ebay whining of those few
who attempt to hide their simple envy by wrapping themselves
in "protector of the hobby;" that's just jealous nonsense.

How ever you decide to proceed, you are
to be commended for helping; it's a big chore.

73 DE Dave Stinson AB5S
Old December 5th 04, 04:52 PM
Evan Platt

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:52:04 GMT, "Mel A. Nomah"
wrote:

[...]

Throw it on eBay, and let the eBay community decide what is fair.

A question about etiquette Mel A. Nomah Boatanchors 22 December 12th 04 05:37 AM
Interesting question JAMES HAMPTON CB 3 December 7th 04 09:34 AM
A question about etiquette Mel A. Nomah Boatanchors 0 December 4th 04 04:52 PM
Question regarding police tactics and scanners noobie Scanner 0 July 29th 03 12:48 AM