Old April 12th 05, 04:39 PM
Dave Schmidt

Default WHY, did the price on a new Icom 706MKIIG jump up $200???

Why? Its not like they came out with a new model or new features. Maybe I
missed some news or something ... or maybe Icom or the dealers are just
shafting us hams. I mean, its not like they came out with some new features
for the 706. Its the same ol 706MKIIG, just $200 more (new)

Old April 12th 05, 05:30 PM
Ken Finney

"Dave Schmidt" wrote in message
Why? Its not like they came out with a new model or new features. Maybe I
missed some news or something ... or maybe Icom or the dealers are just
shafting us hams. I mean, its not like they came out with some new

features
for the 706. Its the same ol 706MKIIG, just $200 more (new)

I talked with an Icom factory rep about this last month. It's all because
of
the ratio between the dollar and the yen. The dollar is now worth less than
108 yen, and projected to be down to as little as 98 yen within six months.

$800 x 120 yen/$ = 96,000 yen

$960 x 100 yen/$ = 96,000 yen

Icom is still selling the 706MKIIG for the same price in yen, it just
takes more dollars to buy it.

Old April 12th 05, 09:01 PM
type4

U.S. Dollar is getting weaker to other currencies.

"Dbu~`" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dave Schmidt" wrote:

Why? Its not like they came out with a new model or new features. Maybe
missed some news or something ... or maybe Icom or the dealers are just
shafting us hams. I mean, its not like they came out with some new
features
for the 706. Its the same ol 706MKIIG, just $200 more (new)

My guess is so they can lower it just before Dayton.

Old April 12th 05, 09:07 PM
Keith V

Has no effect on the price. If it did, all the other radios, Asian
products, det., would increase accordingly. Payment for the radios we
purchase was made to Icom Japan by Icom America long ago.

Van,
KL7TDZ

"type4" wrote in message
.. .
U.S. Dollar is getting weaker to other currencies.

Old April 12th 05, 09:43 PM
type4

Well then, I'll just be happy I got mine new for $800. Darn fine radio set.

"Keith V" wrote in message
news
Has no effect on the price. If it did, all the other radios, Asian
products, det., would increase accordingly. Payment for the radios we
purchase was made to Icom Japan by Icom America long ago.

Van,
KL7TDZ

"type4" wrote in message
.. .
U.S. Dollar is getting weaker to other currencies.

Old April 12th 05, 11:01 PM
Ed

Has no effect on the price. If it did, all the other radios, Asian
products, det., would increase accordingly. Payment for the radios
we purchase was made to Icom Japan by Icom America long ago.

I guess I should point out that the Dollar has been declining against
the Yen since "long ago" too.

Ed K7AAT

Old April 14th 05, 02:17 AM
Bob Miller

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:39:10 -0500, "Dave Schmidt"
wrote:

Why? Its not like they came out with a new model or new features. Maybe I
missed some news or something ... or maybe Icom or the dealers are just
shafting us hams. I mean, its not like they came out with some new features
for the 706. Its the same ol 706MKIIG, just $200 more (new)

The price on the Yaesu FT-100d jumped about $200 just as it was being
discontinued, in favor of the similar 857. Can't explain the logic of
paying more for a discontinued rig... but look for a successor to the
706mkiig at Dayton or shortly after... I wouldn't buy a 706 right now,
certainly not at its elevated price...

Of course, Bush's cheaper dollar isn't helping things, either.

bob
k5qwg

Old April 14th 05, 01:02 PM
KA2CTN

The 706 replacement was announced two months ago - look for it at Dayton
along with a blowout of the 706mk2g. For a picture and additional info:

http://www.qsl.net/ab4oj/icom/ic7000.html

Old April 14th 05, 05:15 PM
Bob Miller

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:02:32 GMT, "KA2CTN"
wrote:

The 706 replacement was announced two months ago - look for it at Dayton
along with a blowout of the 706mk2g. For a picture and additional info:

http://www.qsl.net/ab4oj/icom/ic7000.html

Connection refused...

bob
k5qwg