Old November 7th 05, 09:06 PM
west

Default Icom R-7000 vs R-7100

Can someone tell me the differences between the Icom R-7000 & R-7001? Also,
what do you think is a fair price for either in today's market. Thank you.

Cordially,
west
AF4GC

Old November 8th 05, 01:56 AM
Bill Crocker

The IC-R7000 came out around 1986. The IC-R7100 was around 1991. I think
the 7000 had a better build quality, than the 7100. The 7000 had florescent
blue-green display on a black background, the 7100 had black LCD with amber
backlighting. The 7100 scanned a little faster than the 7000, but they both
scanned too slow to really qualify as a "scanner", in my view. Many of the
7100's had the cellular band blocked. Most all the 7000's were wide open,
but I do recall in it's last year, or so of manufacturing, a few 7000's were
sold that were blocked. The blocked versions were undesirable, not so much
because they lacked cellular, but because they were missing a lot of the
800MHz band that was still legal to monitor. The 7000's internal A.C. power
supplies ran really HOT! The 7000's also had capacitors that failed after
about ten years, and would require replacement.

That's about all this old fart can remember.

Bill Crocker

Old November 8th 05, 06:14 PM
Me

In article ,
"Bill Crocker" wrote:

Most all the 7000's were wide open,
but I do recall in it's last year, or so of manufacturing, a few 7000's were
sold that were blocked. The blocked versions were undesirable, not so much
because they lacked cellular, but because they were missing a lot of the
800MHz band that was still legal to monitor.

Exactly, Few folks remember this, but it is still true, and if you buy
one that is blocked, your going to be very disappointed when you
discover this fact.

Me who owns an early one with Display Caps Replaced.........
Old November 10th 05, 02:19 AM
west

"Bill Crocker" wrote in message
news
[...]

Because of the above information, which is the most comprehensive I read so
far, I will look for a used R-7000. It's remarkable how many sellers do not
know if their 7000 is blocked or not. What is the best way to ask them test
their rig to see if it's blocked. Thank you.

Cordially,
west