RadioBanter

-   -   LED's (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/81581-leds.html)

Rich November 7th 05 09:55 PM

LED's

I have some assorted led's, lots of colors.
What value resister do I add in the circuit with 12 VDC?

Ed November 7th 05 10:34 PM

LED's

"Rich" wrote in news:Tvydnbf-
:

I have some assorted led's, lots of colors.
What value resister do I add in the circuit with 12 VDC?

Use ohms law. Most LEDs are rated around 20 ma. Personally, I like
to limit them to around 5 - 10 ma. Experiment to see what brightnes
level is acceptable to you. I have ones functioning at only about 2 ma.

Ed K7AAT

Robert Kubichek November 7th 05 11:02 PM

LED's

It depends on the Vmax of each led....
Some led's have a higher/lower Vmax than others, it depends on
manufacture/color, or both.... Figure 20ma to be safe, and an
average of 3.0v per led...

You should be able to figure it from there...

--
Bob N9LVU

Dave Edwards November 10th 05 01:10 PM

LED's

Calculate to get a feel for the correct value, then use a resistance
substitution box...or a pot to come up with a suitable value.
....Dave