Old February 21st 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Larry Dawson

Default Help identify Channel Master transistor radio

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me identify this radio. In the
Spring of 1960 I was 8 years old and had saved every penny I came
across in order to buy a transistor radio. The radio I bought was a
Channel Master. It cost me $15.00. It was not much larger than a
cigarette package. The leather case it came with was a light or
Palomino color. It was good thick leather and nicely tooled. It covered
all of the front of the radio except for the tuning indicator. There
was strip of leather with a snap that secured the case to the radio and
if I remember correctly it came over the left side and snapped on top
at the right. It didn't cover the entire top (front side of radio) as
the controls were there. There was a wrist strap and matching case for
the earplug. The radio itself was all white with a circular (at least I
think it was circular as opposed to rectangular) silver metal grill
over the speaker. I'm thinking the on/off/volume control was a dial on
top of the radio and not on the side. The tuning control was either on
the top right or on the right side. I think part of the dial was
visible as opposed to looking through a cut-out window. I don't think
there was a screw that held the back/battery cover in place, but I
could be mistaken. If I remember, the 9-volt battery compartment was at
the bottom of the back with a cover that slid out. I used it for years,
well into high school, and the last I knew it was still around when I
moved out. My parents are both gone now. My wife and I bought the old
homestead and moved in. I search everywhere for the radio, but to no
avail. Mom wasn't a big saver. If something was used or not totally
functional it got tossed. I'm afraid that's what happened to my radio.
I've searched the Internet and eBay, but have yet to find one like it.
I did get a Channel Master 6-transistor 6502 which is as close as I've
been able to come to it. The 6502 I'm sure is slightly larger and not
nearly as elegant as I remember mine being.
The gentleman that sold it to me is a family friend. I've asked him,
but 46 years ago is a bit beyond what he can recall. He gave me a few
suggestions (which of course I can't recall now,) but they didn't pan
out from what I could find on the Internet.
Does anyone have any ideas? If my description is correct and anyone
can identify it or even owns one, I'd love getting a picture of it to
help me track one down.
Thanks for your help.

Larry
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Larry Dawson

http://homepage.mac.com/capnlarry/

I don't know whether it's a virtue or a vice in me, but regularly
rereading favorite books has always been one of the quasi-
religious ceremonies with which I occupy my life.
Fritz Leiber

BROADCASTDB Live Radio : Just Added broadcastdb Broadcasting 0 April 7th 05 01:56 AM
Broadcastdb - Live radios and TV database broadcastdb Shortwave 0 April 7th 05 12:58 AM
Channel-based AM tube tuner (was Designs for a single frequency high performance AM-MW receiver?) Jon Noring Shortwave 103 June 30th 04 07:13 PM
Channel master 9521 Uwe Antenna 0 June 6th 04 04:50 AM
Channel Master choices John Antenna 0 May 4th 04 12:44 AM