Old June 5th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Dave Platt

Default Give up CB for ham?

In article .com,
wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

I think that you asked precisely that same question (modulo one typo)
back on May 16th, April 15th, and April 3.

I think you have no serious interest in the answers you've received.

I think you're acting like a juvenile troll, and therefore receive 0
points on the Troll-o-meter (with a three-point penalty for showing an
utter lack of imagination in your trolling).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old June 5th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap

Dave Platt wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

I think that you asked precisely that same question (modulo one typo)
back on May 16th, April 15th, and April 3.

I think you have no serious interest in the answers you've received.

I think you're acting like a juvenile troll, and therefore receive 0
points on the Troll-o-meter (with a three-point penalty for showing an
utter lack of imagination in your trolling).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Does this mean you're as anal retentive as your mother?

Old June 5th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
notbob

On 2006-06-05, wrote:
Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?

Depends on how you feel about inbred hicks. If you're right at home
with rednecks, white socks, and Blue Ribbon beer, CB may be your
thing. OTOH, if electronic hole theory of semiconductor physics is
more your cup of tea, ham may better suit.

Both camps can be serious as a heart attack about their equipment. My
late FIL was an avid CB'er. He had the first Yaesu I ever saw. A
$1600 model under a huge boom antenna on a rotating mast which he used
to talk skip all over the country. His boat and car both sported
illegal linears pumping top o' the line Cobras. I know he didn't know
spit about antenna theory, and probably more importantly, didn't care.
But, he knew who to ask and being able to do so on his rig is what
it's all about, right.

While I, myself, was never attracted to long discussions with truckers
about the merits of strip clubs or local gossip about the "new
waitress down at Bubba's", I knew some of the local CB'ers and knew
they were good people. CB, specially with respect to home stations,
is just another mode of communication to them. This is more true in
rural communities. The ham crowd, OTOH, by it's very nature of
requiring a basic knowledge of science, tends to attract a more geeky
element, a more literate slice of humanity. Not necessarilly better,
or even smarter, just more educated and more into the technology of
radio communications.

Try them both and then choose one or the other ...or both. Good
people are good people, no matter the media.

nb

Old June 6th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Radio Buff

Default I was going through about ten years of ham catalogs, and I noticed a disturbing trend.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in
m:

"Slow Code" wrote:
A microphone, a six-pack, a karaoke system, & you're a star. :-)

Yep, see: http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/w5dxp.jpg

Have to start calling you Slim Whitman.

sc

Old June 6th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Dave Platt

A microphone, a six-pack, a karaoke system, & you're a star. :-)

Yep, see: http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/w5dxp.jpg

Have to start calling you Slim Whitman.

Another definite advantage to CW, I suppose. With SSB there's no
telling when you might hear something that could make your head explode.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old June 6th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Rob Mills

I drove an 18 wheeler for a living (28 years) and wouldn't have been caught
dead with out a CB, I've gone through attempted hijackings, wove a tractor
and two trailers through a heard of cows at 70 mph, but the warnings I