Old November 3rd 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Flex dryer vent hose loop antenna

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 09:13:38 -0600, amdx wrote:

Below some pressure level, it will probably flop over if mounted
vertically. That's why I mumbled that I wasn't sure if it should be
mounted vertically with a support pole, or horizontally on a flat
sheet of plywood. Both will work, but I'm not sure which is better.

Hang it upside down.
Mikek

But, all the photons will fall out of the loop that way.

Actually, there's a problem. It doesn't work as well upside down.
The magnetic loop has a rather directional field and takeoff angle and
does NOT have a constant current around the loop:
http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/vids-ant/antenna-Mag-Loop-Demo1.wmv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUYI81dkEMA

I suspect that an inverted loop will send most of the RF into the
ground. I should probably test this.
http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/img-ant/antenna-magloop-rad-angle.gif

You might find this interesting on designing the 50 ohm matching
network to the loop, where the impedance varies by where it's fed:
http://www.g0cwt.co.uk/magloops/new_page_6.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 3rd 15, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 16:39:09 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

You might find this interesting on designing the 50 ohm matching
network to the loop, where the impedance varies by where it's fed:
http://www.g0cwt.co.uk/magloops/new_page_6.htm

Mo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdofH6R22Dg
Skip forward to 12:03 for an interesting comment:
"Commercial loops are usually radiating towards the ground and
a lot of the signal is warming the snails. I don't know how
so many people could have got it so wrong for so long".

Old November 3rd 15, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11/1/2015 6:42 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 18:10:56 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

Probable should clear the lint out first!
Paul, KD7HB

I know that hams are cheap, but I didn't realize that extended to
stealing the neighbors dryer vent hose in order to build an antenna. I
highly recommend purchasing a new hose, which comes pre-cleaned:
http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2627981

Incidentally, there's no requirement that the entire loop be made from
expandable hose. The loop could be in the form of a square loop,
where the flat base and flat top are rigid aluminum structures, and
the two vertical sections are flexible dryer vent hose. The weight of
the flat top would help collapse the antenna although I suspect that
springs or weights would work better.

It's not like inflatable antennas and structures are a new thing:
http://ltaprojects.com/towers/inflatable-antenna-video-towers/ham

I am looking at the vent pipe from our reflow oven. We made it up from
4", 4' long vent pipe pieces, including "T" and "EL" pieces. That should
work better than the expandable dryer vent hose.

Paul, KD7HB
Old November 3rd 15, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

I think the point is that the flex tubing antenna can be tuned by
adjusting the loop rather than the capacitor. Interesting idea although
it may not prove practical in the end.

--

Rick
Old November 3rd 15, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11/2/2015 2:49 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 00:28:03 -0500, rickman wrote:

You are assuming it will maintain something remotely like a circle. I
don't see that happening. Have you worked with this stuff? Maybe what
you have is more pliable than the stuff I used.

I've worked with the vinyl dryer hose, but not the aluminum foil
variety. With the vinyl, I was using the helical "Slinky" part of the
hose as an HF antenna. As I mentioned, the steel spring got hot and
melted the vinyl.

Sure, there is nothing good about the slinky dryer tube you mention.
Steel has horrible conductivity with its high resistance *and* very
shallow skin effect. But even a copper wire of that small gauge would
not be effective in a transmitter loop antenna.

The actual inflatable antenna was a vertical
monopole, so I never even tried to make a loop, and am not sure it
will work. That's why I'm trying to recruit someone else to do the
dirty work. I guess I could go shopping and do it myself, but I'm
kinda busy this week (mostly recovering from the last 3 week of
overwork). I suspect that there might be problems if I use too much
air pressure. With the monopole, the hose would handle about 30 psi
before producing a leak. It thinks that's more than enough to inflate
the loop, but might not be enough to be self supporting, especially
with a capacitor at the top.

I bought a piece of dryer aluminum to use in another experiment (btw, a
four foot column does not create much chimney effect over a 100 W light
bulb) and they are stiff, too stiff to be worked by a balloon. Also
they bend by expanding one side and not the other. Once it is bent it
is a bit hard to straighten out. I am not trying to dampen your
spirits. I suggest you buy a short piece of this stuff and just bend it
by hand. Get a feel for it and see if you think this type of tube can
be manipulated by simple machinery. I think it will cost less than $10
to try this.

I don't mean fall apart necessarily, but just not be much like a loop
antenna. I think the hard part will be shrinking it back down and
keeping its shape. Proof of the pudding...

The optimum shape is a circle with square, hexagon and octagon shapes
being a tolerable facsimile. I guess the question is whether a random
pretzel shape will work. Dunno, difficult to simulate, but easy to
try.

The prevailing wisdom is the area is what matters. Given what I saw in
those videos which seem to show directionality in the plane of the loop,
I'm not so sure. That and the results people seem to get with helical
loop antennas make me think we don't really "get" loop antennas.

There are helically wound antennas that have a similar issue. I have
yet to see any equations to model them. I wonder if they work or not,
in the sense of any better than a simple loop.

One of the local club members build a 160 meter vertical rubber ducky
(helical antenna) with ground radials and ended up with a usable
bandwidth of about 2KHz. Keeping it tuned on frequency was a
challenge. I think it was only about 10ft high and reportedly worked
fairly well. I tried to model it with 4NEC2 but gave up for some
forgotten reason. I think it was my inability to model the ground
characteristics. Based on this example, I would say a loop would be
better because the grounding isn't part of the puzzle.

I don't have any equipment to date. I have a couple of projects ahead
of this if I decide to build something.

No test equipment? It's difficult to build anything without some
basic RF equipment. I can provide a basic shopping list if you would
like. My shop, which I've been told should be repurposed a museum.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/lab.html

You clearly have much more experience than I do. I wold barely know how
to use a SWR meter and don't have an LRC meter... I can't remember what
a grid dip meter is.

Sigh. I have 4 assorted grid dip meters. I can mail you one if you
would like to play. It's very handy for measuring the resonant
frequencies of any LC circuit or antenna. It's not very accurate but
will get you in the ballpark or at least tell you if you're too high
or too low in frequency. Like this, but with more paint chipped off
and the case missing. At least all the coils are there.
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/W483lrg.jpg
Note that it won't go down to 60 KHz although I tried making a coil
that covered the range.

Thanks for the offer. Let me get my other stuff out of the way and
maybe I'll take you up on this.

--

Rick

Old November 3rd 15, 07:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11/2/2015 6:39 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Sorry Jeff, When my post didn't show up, I noticed I sent it to you.
Here it is for the rest.

Just to add to the confusion,
Helically Loaded

You might glean info from here, or at the least

admire all the work put into the projects.

http://theradioboard.com/rb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4399

Copper doughnut with lots of solder connections
http://www.aa5tb.com/jl1boh_03.jpg

http://www.hlmagneticloopantennas.com/

Hmm, I read a few comments, maybe not the way to go.

Mikek

Old November 4th 15, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11/2/2015 7:39 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 09:13:38 -0600, amdx wrote:

Below some pressure level, it will probably flop over if mounted
vertically. That's why I mumbled that I wasn't sure if it should be
mounted vertically with a support pole, or horizontally on a flat
sheet of plywood. Both will work, but I'm not sure which is better.

Hang it upside down.
Mikek

But, all the photons will fall out of the loop that way.

Actually, there's a problem. It doesn't work as well upside down.
The magnetic loop has a rather directional field and takeoff angle and
does NOT have a constant current around the loop:
http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/vids-ant/antenna-Mag-Loop-Demo1.wmv

I don't get this video. I can't really hear what he is saying so when
he says at the end, "this is not what you would expect" I don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUYI81dkEMA

This video is about the voltage and current around a loop, but he says
it is a 1/10 wave loop, but I can't tell that. He has another video
showing the directionality of a 1/4 wave delta antenna. I'm wondering
if this is also a 1/4 wave antenna.

I suspect that an inverted loop will send most of the RF into the
ground. I should probably test this.
http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/img-ant/antenna-magloop-rad-angle.gif

Which type of loop antenna are you talking about, 1/4 wave, or 1/10
wave (small, magnetic)? I can't tell anything about this antenna and it
seems to contradict the other video.

Old November 4th 15, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , rickman
writes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUYI81dkEMA

When he's measuring towards the capacitor, won't the presence of his
hand be causing the loop to de-tune - hence less current?

--
Ian
Old November 4th 15, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11/4/2015 6:49 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , rickman writes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUYI81dkEMA

When he's measuring towards the capacitor, won't the presence of his
hand be causing the loop to de-tune - hence less current?

Yes. But, is it measurable?
Old November 4th 15, 01:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , John S
writes
On 11/4/2015 6:49 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , rickman writes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUYI81dkEMA

When he's measuring towards the capacitor, won't the presence of his
hand be causing the loop to de-tune - hence less current?

Yes. But, is it measurable?

Being a high-Q circuit, I would think that a small amount of additional
C would cause considerable de-tuning.
--
Ian

flex arm mount for indoor antenna Tdub Antenna 0 April 6th 11 02:11 AM
Dryer Vent Lead In NotMe Antenna 10 June 11th 07 05:19 PM
SkyWire Loop Antenna [Was: Wire loop.] Question RHF Shortwave 0 September 21st 05 10:15 AM
FYI - New AM {Medium Wave} DX Loop Antenna using Litz Wire plus Longwave LW Lowfer DX Loop Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 August 11th 05 08:15 PM
coupling loop for loop antenna Jim Homebrew 3 July 22nd 05 12:11 AM