Old February 20th 04, 06:17 PM
cme

Default folding antenna, can it be refolded

I was wondering if a antenna is shipped folded and then erected . Can the
same antenna be refolded without damaging the elements. I have the chance to
buy a radioshack vhf/uhf antenna that came folded but dont know if it can
be refolded without damaging the elements. In other words are they locked
and you have force them to refold and damage them.

Old February 20th 04, 09:28 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:17:19 -0500, cme hath writ:
I was wondering if a antenna is shipped folded and then erected . Can the
same antenna be refolded without damaging the elements. I have the chance to
buy a radioshack vhf/uhf antenna that came folded but dont know if it can
be refolded without damaging the elements. In other words are they locked
and you have force them to refold and damage them.

In most cases - yes, the elements can be re-parked in their shipping
postion. As you may have guessed: the antenna is not "designed" for
such use -- but, if you are careful, it can be done many times.
Suggestion: Use gloves -- the configuration is designed for the easy
"leveraging" of the elements out into their "locked" positions.
It's when you want to un-lock them and re-stow them that you are
faced with futzing with the stamped metal pieces that do the
locking.

I have a Ch2 TV antenna I've modified for use on 6M, and I
transport it to and from mountain tops with the elements in
the "stowed" position.

After some use, you'll probably need to use large pliers to
re-"tweak" the setting of the stamped metal locking pieces.

YMMV: Every manufacturer may have different implementations
of the locking scheme -- and even different implementations
amongst its various models,

73
Jonesy
Old February 21st 04, 12:36 AM
Sparks

You can "Normaly" refold a R/S antenna by VERY CAREFULY releasing the
locking tab's. I have used a "Test" antenna for about 20 years this
way! Regards, Sparks
Old February 21st 04, 03:02 AM
Howard

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:36:34 GMT, Sparks
wrote:

You can "Normaly" refold a R/S antenna by VERY CAREFULY releasing the
locking tab's. I have used a "Test" antenna for about 20 years this
way! Regards, Sparks

The only caveat being if the locking devices are plastic. They can be
reused but you must be much more careful than with metal. Voice of
experience 8-}
Howard
Old February 23rd 04, 01:33 AM
G&R

I must reply to this question with several answers.

1. If the antenna is designed to be refolded (as ours are, even though some
care must be taken) it is no problem.

2. If the antenna is designed to be only unfolded only. It may still be
possible, but the risk of damage is significantly greater.

3. In some cases....well once you open it its open unless you break it to
fold it :-(

Look at each case and proceed with care.

Good Luck,

Guenther ve3cvs
www.degendesigns.com