Old March 8th 04, 02:38 AM
New & Improved - N/F John

Default Hugh antenna in Bergen County New Jersey

I live in Passaic County in New Jersey and I can see a hugh red and white
antenna east of my location. I can't tell how far it is but it is far.
From Clifton I can see Garfield and the antenna is in that direction.

Anybody have any clues?

Old March 8th 04, 04:25 AM
Jimbo

hi john,

could this be the new tv tower(s) to replace the one on top
ot the WTC in NYC ?

jimbo

New & Improved - N/F John wrote:

I live in Passaic County in New Jersey and I can see a hugh red and white
antenna east of my location. I can't tell how far it is but it is far.
From Clifton I can see Garfield and the antenna is in that direction.

Anybody have any clues?

Old March 8th 04, 12:41 PM
Russ

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:38:14 -0500, "New & Improved - N/F John"
wrote:

I live in Passaic County in New Jersey and I can see a hugh red and white
antenna east of my location. I can't tell how far it is but it is far.
From Clifton I can see Garfield and the antenna is in that direction.

Anybody have any clues?

There is (was?) a very large tower structure in Alpine, right on the
river. It has at least two crossbars (made of girders). As I
understand it, it was one of the first FM broadcast towers. It was
later used for commercial services like pagers and commercial
repeaters.

Russ
Old March 8th 04, 01:59 PM
Gary S.

wrote:

I live in Passaic County in New Jersey and I can see a hugh red and white
antenna east of my location. I can't tell how far it is but it is far.
From Clifton I can see Garfield and the antenna is in that direction.

Anybody have any clues?

The USGS topo map for the area may show the tower, although newer
towers or changes in ownership will not be there.

The FCC has a database of broadcast towers, IIRC, somewhere on their
website.

For some odd reason, pilots pay attention to large structures, and the
FAA or pilot info may include this.

You can plot the location more exactly by taking a bearing from one
known location, then a second bearing from a different one, and laying
that out on a good map.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old March 9th 04, 12:16 AM
Crazy George

Sounds like Major Armstrong's tower in Alpine, N. J.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address
"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
I live in Passaic County in New Jersey and I can see a hugh red and white
antenna east of my location. I can't tell how far it is but it is far.
From Clifton I can see Garfield and the antenna is in that direction.

Anybody have any clues?

Old March 9th 04, 12:22 AM
New & Improved - N/F John

I did find the answer. http://www.fybush.com/site-021219.html It is the
Armstrong Tower in Apline, New Jersey. I found that it is about 24 miles
away. I never really looked outside my attic with binoculars before and
tried to identify things. This is interesting because there are water
towers visible behind it. These water towers must be in New York because
the Hudson River is next to Alpine.

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
I live in Passaic County in New Jersey and I can see a hugh red and white
antenna east of my location. I can't tell how far it is but it is far.
From Clifton I can see Garfield and the antenna is in that direction.

Anybody have any clues?

Old March 9th 04, 01:13 AM
Tam/WB2TT

Most of the NY TV stations were transmitting from Alpine on a temporary
bases until they got them up on the Empire State Building. They may still be
there as backups. Note that the cable systems did not even hiccup when the
WTC went down. Must use a direct studio microwave link.

Tam/WB2TT
"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
I did find the answer. http://www.fybush.com/site-021219.html It is the
Armstrong Tower in Apline, New Jersey. I found that it is about 24 miles
away. I never really looked outside my attic with binoculars before and
tried to identify things. This is interesting because there are water
towers visible behind it. These water towers must be in New York because
the Hudson River is next to Alpine.

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
I live in Passaic County in New Jersey and I can see a hugh red and

white
antenna east of my location. I can't tell how far it is but it is far.
From Clifton I can see Garfield and the antenna is in that direction.

Anybody have any clues?

Old March 18th 04, 11:35 PM
N1ir

Yes, it is the Armstrong Tower. This was the main and test site for the long
defunct Yankee Network of FM stations.

It is discussed in some detail in the book: " Empire of the Air".

Surely some Radio Club of America folks on this NG can drop us a few choice
trivia nuggets on the Armstrong tower:-)

Now, today's (related) quiz: where was (and what is located there now) the
"Wardenclyffe ' tower of Tesla fame:-)?
Hint: it's about 80 miles from the Alpine site.

73,
Chip N1IR
Old March 20th 04, 05:34 AM
nick

shoreham ny located on north shore of long island.
the main building remains.http://www.teslascience.org/

nick

Old March 20th 04, 05:35 AM
nick

local residents in the area want $ 2,500 per household to help pay for
the private lawyer and hire experts to fight the tower expansion plans.

mega buck homes are all around the tower site and they don't like it.