Old March 31st 04, 03:07 PM
Marvin Rosen

Default Another Lightning Question

Should one disconnect an outside buried ground
to their indoor equipment during a storm? I was
under the impression that static/lightning can still
get to your equipment thru your gnd system?

Old March 31st 04, 09:30 PM
Thierry

"Marvin Rosen" wrote in message
Should one disconnect an outside buried ground
to their indoor equipment during a storm? I was
under the impression that static/lightning can still
get to your equipment thru your gnd system?

Sure ! helas... :-((
Goof to read :
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-...protection.htm

73
Thierry, ON4SKY

Old April 1st 04, 12:07 AM
SB

if you get a lot of lightning in your area....invest in a grounding system.

One for power....one for tower....on for antenna line.

I didn't have one for mine and would disconnect the antenna when I didn't
use it (long periods of disuse). But I would always ground out the antenna
jack before connecting it again as static DOES build up. how much static?
who knows....but it's the fool that sits there banging his heading after the
static bites back!

Old April 1st 04, 03:46 AM
Mark Keith

"Marvin Rosen" wrote in message . ..
Should one disconnect an outside buried ground
to their indoor equipment during a storm? I was
under the impression that static/lightning can still
get to your equipment thru your gnd system?

I guess opinions will vary on this, but I am never connected to my
outside ground. Don't use a shack ground connection anymore. But if I
still did, yes, I would unhook it during storms. It's ok to have the
ground, if properly set up, IE: "star config" to the ground window,
but I prefer to be totally isolated from everything outside. I ground
my feedlines outside, and thats it. All thats left is unplugging the
gear if I think it's bad enough. And I really don't have to do that.
Just makes me feel better...MK