Old September 6th 03, 05:10 PM

Default Any recommendations for tube-type SSB transceivers?

I am looking for recommendations on the best all-tube 80-10 SSB/CW
transceiver to buy.

I would prefer:that it be smaller rather than larger, and that it have
a built-in power supply. I realize that this is likely to be a
contradiction, so I'd prefer the built-in power supply over the small
size as this is going to be set up in a portable installation
(motorhome) and the fewer separate boxes I need to mess with, the
better..

The only absolute requirement is that it be all tubes, no
transistorized VFOs or any such thing, although solid state rectifiers
in the power supply are OK.

Thanks...

Rick WA1RKT

Old September 7th 03, 12:53 AM

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:34:32 GMT, "Chas" wrote:

Built-in supply?? If memory serves me right, there are very few all
tube transceivers with a built-in supply. The only ones would be the
SBE-34(dog) & the Swan 260 & 270 series(slightly better choice),

Good evening, Chuck.

Yeah, I knew it was a long shot. ;-)

Actually I had an SBE34 many, MANY years ago and it didn't seem like
it was that bad a rig. I also had a Swan ... don't remember which one
.... and you're right, it was better.

KWM-2s had a strap on 12 volt power supply,

Actually I don't need a 12-volt supply; I plan to use the rig in my
motorhome running either off of a gas generator or off of an inverter
connected to the house battery.

You may be better off with any of the Yaesu FT-101 series.

But, aren't the FT-101's partly or mostly solid state, with tube
finals? I'm looking for something that's tube EVERYTHING, with the
possible exception of diode rectifiers in the power supply ... don't
even want a transistorized VFO.

73

Rick WA1RKT

Old September 7th 03, 03:06 AM
Michael Black

"Chas" ) writes:
Built-in supply?? If memory serves me right, there are very few all
tube transceivers with a built-in supply. The only ones would be the
SBE-34(dog) & the Swan 260 & 270 series(slightly better choice), beyond
that, KWM-2s had a strap on 12 volt power supply, good luck in finding the
PM-2 much less affording both it and a good KWM-2, cost: around $1000 or
more. You may be better off with any of the Yaesu FT-101 series. More stable
than the Swans & better over all. Good luck!

Chuck WG2A

Wait a minute, wasn't the SBE-34 partially solid state? I'm sure I'm not
just getting that from the carbon copy someone built up and wrote about
in QST; I can picture an article by W2EEY with a bunch of modifications
which indicated it was a mostly solid state rig (ie all but the driver
and final). That might account for your comment about it being a dog.

And whether there was a strap on 12v supply for the KWM-2, there was
definitely a 117VAC strap on for it. I once had the use of one, for
something else, and I sure wasn't running it mobile. The intent of
that strap on was if you were running portable, like all those DXpeditions,
and wanted a more compact package. It and the KWM-2 would fit into
the Collins suitcase, and there you'd go.

Micahel VE2BVW

Old September 7th 03, 03:36 AM
Chas

Your right, the SBE was solid state except for the driver and finals.
My mistake(big ooops, I owned one too!), so I guess his only option is a
Swan 260 or 270.

Chuck WG2A

Old September 7th 03, 03:44 AM
Chas

Hi Rick! The SBEs were solid state too(driver & finals were tube), so
if your critera was an internal power supply & all tube, the Swan is your
only choice (as far as my memory goes). I recommended the Yaesus only
because of the power supply issue and that they are better than the Swans.
the KWM-2 is the best bet for quality, plus with the PM-2, the power supply
and radio are one piece, otherwise you'll have to build an AC supply or buy
the Collins one, though many people put another connector on a Heath HP-23
and use them (much cheaper).

Chuck WG2A

P.S. Swan 260 & 270s had a bad design in the dial shaft. There was
usually some wear between the shaft and the bushing (?) causing them to be a
real pain to tune in SSB signals. Go with the KWM-2.

news

Old September 7th 03, 01:19 PM

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 02:44:05 GMT, "Chas" wrote:

Hi Rick! The SBEs were solid state too(driver & finals were tube), so
if your critera was an internal power supply & all tube, the Swan is your
only choice (as far as my memory goes).

Thanks, Chuck. The internal power supply and/or the small size are
only preferences, that I can live without. The only hard requirement
is the all-tube design.

Go with the KWM-2.

Yeah, I'm beginning to reach that conclusion. I've been checking a
few prices on eBay and qrz.com and they certainly are proud of 'em ...
from $300-$400 for a beater that needs a lot of work to $1200-$1500
for a -2A that is claimed to be in perfect condition.

Are things like tubes and shop manuals more or less readily available?

Guess it's time to start haunting the 75-meter swap nets and the flea
markets. Hoss Traders is coming up here in New Hampshire early next
month, I think. Any other big, well-known and well-attended flea
markets coming up anywhere in the Northeast or mid-Atlantic states,
west to about Ohio?

Rick WA1RKT

Old September 7th 03, 05:14 PM
Mike Knudsen

I don't know if the NCX-5
was solid state but it was from the tube era.

Both the NCX-5 and -3 use a separate AC power supply, and the original poster
wants it all in one box. Nice rigs though. --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.
Old September 7th 03, 07:51 PM

I think I mentioned elsewhere in these discussions that the main
reason I'm looking for an all-tube SSB/CW transceiver is for when (not
"if", unfortunately) terrorists manage to smuggle a nuclear weapon
into this country and set it off.

(Hell, no, I'm not paranoid, which one of my enemies told you that?)
:-(

I'm looking for something that has a reasonable chance of surviving
the resulting EMP, and that means tube gear.

Now, someone else here said something about the KWM-2 having germanium
diodes in the balance modulator. Those aren't likely to survive any
meaningful EMP (they can't even survive a little heat from a soldering
iron, for Pete's sake) so that seems to let the KWM-2 out of the
running.

Of the other tube rigs mentioned ... Swan 260/270/350/500, Heath
SB100/101 and HW-100 (also HW-101?), Hallicrafters SR-150, NCX-5, etc.
.... how many of them have germanium diodes here and there that are
likely to get smoked? What other considerations are there that would
rule one of these other rigs in or out?

Rick WA1RKT