Old September 9th 05, 05:06 PM
Christopher O'Callaghan

Default Uniden scanner detachable head unit

Does anybody know what the names are of the scanners with detachable head
units??

Old September 10th 05, 12:57 AM
Richard Carlson, N9JIG

In article ,
"Christopher O'Callaghan" wrote:

Does anybody know what the names are of the scanners with detachable head
units??

I don't think ANY scanners come with removable heads, but you can buy
retrofit kits from ScannerMaster for the BC780, BC785 and BC796. I have
one on my 796 and it works great.
Old September 10th 05, 04:53 AM
Lumpy

Richard Carlson, N9JIG wrote:

I don't think ANY scanners come with removable heads, but you can
buy retrofit kits from ScannerMaster for the BC780, BC785 and
BC796. I have one on my 796 and it works great.

How does that work, Richard?
Do you have to remove the faceplate from the
796 and attach it to some kind of remote
mountable shell? Then some kind of plate
with a cat 5 connector attaches to the
front of the 796?

Geez they want $450 for the remote kit!

n0eq Lumpy

Old September 10th 05, 12:12 PM
Richard Carlson, N9JIG

In article ,
"Lumpy" wrote:

Richard Carlson, N9JIG wrote:

I don't think ANY scanners come with removable heads, but you can
buy retrofit kits from ScannerMaster for the BC780, BC785 and
BC796. I have one on my 796 and it works great.

How does that work, Richard?
Do you have to remove the faceplate from the
796 and attach it to some kind of remote
mountable shell? Then some kind of plate
with a cat 5 connector attaches to the
front of the 796?

Geez they want $450 for the remote kit!

n0eq Lumpy

That is exactly how it works. The kit comes with 2 circuit boards, one
attached to the new front for the radio unit and another that attaches
to the rear of the board on the head. A mounting shell for the head and
a front for the radio, as well as a cable to connect the two are
included. Of course it also has the various internal cables and
connecters needed.

Yes, it is pricey, but it is obvious that a lot of work and engineering
went into this. Ya cant just extend the wires...
Old September 20th 05, 07:28 AM
Ralph

Crud,
I built a detachable plate for my old BC-220 back around April of 1994 I
think.
I mounted the radio under the dash and extended the keyboard and display
wires to the dash.
The display was just above the steering wheel where the gear indicator would
be on a tree shift.
The keypad was just above the factory radio mounted in a factory wood grain
panel.
The volume and Squelch controls were mounted just below the factory radio
and the speaker was wired into the cars sound system with switch that would
select radio or scanner or both.
I had to modify the factory radio for this.
It also had a battery backup under the dash that provided power to the
scanner and car radio as well as alarm system.

If anyone remembers SCAN magazine, I won an award for this design!
I was even asked to be a technical writer for them but I declined.
I'm not sure how much longer they (Scan Magazine) lasted after that.
They sent me several issues of the issue that I had my winning entry in as
well.

I also was the one who found that a PRO-2004 could be expanded to 400
channels.
I'd imagine that someone else will try and claim that but I can still dig up
original text from my old color computer to a local BBS explaining how it
can be done!
I'm talking before the internet and when everything was a BBS or bulletin
board.
Some of them were fido net boards
Somehow along the transfer across fidonet boards, I lost creditability as
the one who figured this mod out.

Am I ****ed? No - but I'm disappointed!

Rich Carlson, N9JIG" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lumpy" wrote:

[...]

FS : UNIDEN BC796D digital trunking mobile/base scanner NIB! Dan Conti Swap 9 March 22nd 05 06:40 AM
From The Memory Hole MnMikew Shortwave 4 December 14th 04 07:16 AM
FS : Uniden BC 760 XLT scanner Dan Conti Swap 0 September 3rd 04 10:15 PM
FS: Uniden BC120 XLT 100-Channel Programmable Twin Turbo Hand-Held Auto Scanner Mitch Katz Scanner 0 March 5th 04 04:05 PM
Remote Head for Scanner Frank C. D'Amato Scanner 5 February 24th 04 08:05 PM