Old October 6th 03, 10:30 PM
Thomas Parkison

Default How can I connect to the Internet via shortwave?

I am thinking about moving abroad and would like to set up an internet
connection from a VERY remote location. Is it possible to do it via
shortwave radio?

Thom Parkison

Old October 7th 03, 12:00 AM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article , trp950
@hotmail.com says...

I am thinking about moving abroad and would like to set up an internet
connection from a VERY remote location. Is it possible to do it via
shortwave radio?

Possible how?

In the technical sense, of course it's possible. The technology to
do so (via satellite) exists now, and is available to those who know
where to look and who to pay subscription fees to.

In the logistic and licensing sense, it's a much more complicated
issue. You'd probably be best off investigating a satellite feed with
existing technology. A google search for "satellite internet" (include
the quotes) turns up a whole raft of hits, including such names as
Starband and DirecPC.

Good hunting.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)
Old October 7th 03, 12:00 AM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article , trp950
@hotmail.com says...

Old October 7th 03, 10:24 AM
Markus L

Thomas Parkison wrote:
I am thinking about moving abroad and would like to set up an internet
connection from a VERY remote location. Is it possible to do it via
shortwave radio?

Depends what you mean by internet connection.
Mail access is possible using one of these systems:
http://www.winlink.org/ (ham radio operators only)
http://www.sailmail.com/
http://www.kielradio.de/

Markus

Old October 7th 03, 02:31 PM
Android Cat

Markus L wrote:
Thomas Parkison wrote:
I am thinking about moving abroad and would like to set up an
internet connection from a VERY remote location. Is it possible to
do it via shortwave radio?

Depends what you mean by internet connection.
Mail access is possible using one of these systems:
http://www.winlink.org/ (ham radio operators only)
http://www.sailmail.com/
http://www.kielradio.de/

To expand on that, Internet connection via HF amateur radio is possible,
but not for any kind of web surfing or high bandwidth activity. Email and
some Usenet would be about the limit. And even for email, you'd better
have good spam filters. One 155k "Microsoft Security Update" would ruin
your whole week.

Text web access with Lynx _might_ work, except that many pages don't
support text-only any more. Imagine surfing at 300 bps, then add packet
overhead. No encryption, so you might have some security problems too.

How remote is "VERY"? Using a higher frequency will allow higher bps
rates, but with shorter range. *IF* there are digipeaters anywhere close,
you might be able to get a faster connection, but with more hops.

Heh, I remember when VHF packet was four times faster than normal landline
modems.

--
Ron Sharp.
I just booted a 23 year old friend:

Old October 23rd 03, 09:32 AM
BRAINIAC

In article ,
Thomas Parkison wrote:
I am thinking about moving abroad and would like to set up an internet
connection from a VERY remote location. Is it possible to do it via
shortwave radio?

Thom Parkison

It is possible. Long ago LX0HST in Luxembourg used to allow shell
access. The system was running Linux. I am in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
LX0HST wasn't on HF, but could be accessed from other stations. I used
to access LX0HST by connecting to DJ0OW on 20 meters, then telling DJ0OW
to connect to LX0HST. There were other paths besides DJ0OW too, I seem
to remember doing it via ON0BEL (?) many times. There were other
gateways in Germany as well. This was all done with PACTOR-II.

I am not sure if LX0HST was connected to the internet, but if it was, I
could have easily accessed anything from the shell.