Old March 1st 05, 02:44 AM
Charlie

Default How can I measure or observe my hf antenna's take off angle?

Using a Hustler 5-BTV ground mounted with 72 radials. I have heard about
antenna modeling but is there any way to do a real world take off angle
measurement???

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Old March 1st 05, 03:23 AM
Jack Painter

"Charlie" wrote
Using a Hustler 5-BTV ground mounted with 72 radials. I have heard about
antenna modeling but is there any way to do a real world take off angle
measurement???

It will take a lot of thrust, that 5-BTV might require 2 propane tanks ;-)
Be sure to disconnect the radials first!

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Jack

Old March 1st 05, 03:27 AM
Cecil Moore

Charlie wrote:
Using a Hustler 5-BTV ground mounted with 72 radials. I have heard about
antenna modeling but is there any way to do a real world take off angle
measurement???

Sure, just rent a helicopter and make field strength
measurements.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 1st 05, 01:03 PM

wind a small RX i.e.: a field strength coil and LED indicator, or buy one of
them cheap 'bug detectors', stick on a gas filled WX balloon, get a hand
held radio or mobile phone, and place a RX next to the radio Mic, put your
radio on VOX and key from out side, by talking into the hand held, drag the
balloon round with long a string observing the bug detector as a led field
strength meter by viewing the LED barographs twinkling light, with a
binocular. Easier at night.

Old March 1st 05, 02:10 PM
Charlie

Thanks for all those helpful remarks..I have the LED ready along with the
balloon. I really liked the helicopter idea....you guys are so helpful!!
LOL!!!

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Old March 2nd 05, 04:35 AM
John Franklin

Charlie............I read the posts with humor as well. Sounds
like you would like to do some serious field measurements. I will say that
one year for field day two friends and myself put up a 4BTV, with 32 radials
out. We got out so well with it we took the 40M dipole down. We worked quite
a bit of DX as well, this was from a mountain top.
I think too many people sell the verticles short...............and I will
bow out at this point.

73,
WB7FFI

Old March 2nd 05, 04:56 PM
Richard Harrison

Charlie wrote:
"Using a Hustler 5-BTV ground mounted with 72 radials. I have heard
about antenna modeling but is there a way to do a real world take off
angle measurement?"

Make a small physical model. Then use a field strength meter without a
helicopter.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old March 3rd 05, 04:49 AM
Charlie

Hi John and thx for the reply. I too used to sell verticals short and I was
mystified why anyone would admit to having a "ground mounted" vertical of
all kinds. But with a well built vertical and plenty of radials one can bust
pileups in DX...I am so pleased with my 5-BTV.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

ink.net...

Old March 3rd 05, 04:51 AM
Charlie

Hi Richard thx for the reply but in thinking it over it would seem an
unlikely possibility that I could accurately model the 5-BTV with it's
traps. Did I miss something there?

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Old March 3rd 05, 01:39 PM
Reg Edwards

"Cecil Moore"
Charlie wrote:
Using a Hustler 5-BTV ground mounted with 72 radials. I have heard

about antenna modeling but is there any way to do a real world take off
angle
measurement???

Sure, just rent a helicopter and make field strength
measurements.

What use would he make of take-off angle if he ever gets to know it.