Old August 27th 04, 06:40 AM
Bill N2CQR MOHBR

Default How to bias a MOSFET amp?

I'm trying to improve my limited understanding of how RF amps operate.
I've been studying "Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur" and
Experimental Methods in RF Design"

SSDRA has a very helpful section that asks the reader to calculate max
output power for a Class A RF amp (common emitter). They ask the
reader to consider maximum voltage and current swings in the collector
circuit that will keep the output linear. Basically, my understanding
is that (with an RF choke in the Vcc line) max peak signal voltage on
collector is Vc-Ve. Max peak current is the standing or quiescent
current. In this way when the collector voltage is hitting its peak
collector current is dropping almost to zero.

While the SSDRA example uses BJTs, I'm guessing that essentially the
same restrictions would apply to the drain circuit of a MOSFET amp.

Here's my problem: When I look at MOSFET amp circuits in the
literature, they often have linear amps with 12 volts on the drain,
but with standing currents of only around 40 milliamps. And they
claim 7 watts out. How can that be? Using the analysis outlined
above, I'd think that you'd get max output of 12*.040 = .48 watts.

Here's an example: I've been looking at Farhan's very FB SSB
Transceiver
http://farhan.net.co.nr/xcvr1.html

I'm trying to understand the biasing on his IRF510 final, and the RF
output he's getting.

He says he measures 20-24 volts peak RF across a 50 ohm load at the
output. That's about 8 watts peak output.

He's using 12 volt supply, and recommends setting the idle current
through the MOSFET at 80 ma. Can that be right? According to my
reading of Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur (SSDRA)(page 23)
with a 12 volt supply we can expect peak signal voltage at the Drain
of around 12 volts (with an RF choke in Vcc line). Peak current could
be max 80 ma.(maintaining Class A). Under these biasing conditions,
assuming Class A operation, max output power of .96 watts would be
provided by a load of 150 ohms.

Even if he were to be running this amp Class B (or close to it), I
can't see how he'd get 8 watts out with only 80 milliamps of standing
current

I'm very new to this kind of analysis, and strongly suspect that I'm
misreading either SSDRA or Farhan's excellent article.

Can someone please let me know where this apparent discrepency is
coming from.

Thanks and 73

Bill N2CQR M0HBR CU2JL
http://planeta.clix.pt/n2cqr
Old August 27th 04, 02:07 PM
John Walton

It's a bias voltage, rather than a bias current. The MOSFET enters its
linear conducting area after a certain threshold voltage is attained.

om...

Old August 27th 04, 04:07 PM
John Larkin

On 26 Aug 2004 22:40:36 -0700, (Bill N2CQR
MOHBR) wrote:

Even if he were to be running this amp Class B (or close to it), I
can't see how he'd get 8 watts out with only 80 milliamps of standing
current

I'm very new to this kind of analysis, and strongly suspect that I'm
misreading either SSDRA or Farhan's excellent article.

Can someone please let me know where this apparent discrepency is
coming from.

Thanks and 73

Bill N2CQR M0HBR CU2JL
http://planeta.clix.pt/n2cqr

I think the RF guys (I'm not one!) call an amplifier "linear" if the
RF output amplitude follows the input drive amplitude. You can do this
with a transistor that has very low quiescent bias. So "linear" does
not mean "class A" to them. The key here is that an RF amp has a tuned
output, whereas an audio amp doesn't. So the lopsided bias would
normally produce intolerable distortion in something like audio, but
the tuned output circuit changes the pulsey-looking collector/drain
current back into a nice sine wave. So you don't need a lot of idle
current, and the transistor really amplifies half of the incoming sine
cycle.

Most mosfets are pretty nicely linear (ie, straight-line Ic/Vd curve)
beyond the initial knee. You could get gobs of watts at zero standing
current, but then you'd have some zero-clipping (no output) for the
smallest drive levels, so a little idle current helps.

John

Old August 27th 04, 07:28 PM
Paul Burridge

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:07:02 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

[...]

The only sensible way to do it AFAICS is to operate the MOSFET in
class C as a high speed switch and reconstruct the pulsed output into
a sine wave carrier by means of a suitable tuned circuit. I wouldn't
consider driving a MOSFET for RF use in any other way. The efficiency
should be pretty darned good, too.
--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.

Old August 27th 04, 08:31 PM
John Fields

wrote:

[...]

---
That doesn't make any sense to me.

Unless things have changed pretty drastically from how they were when
I was doing RF, class "C" was pretty much relegated to FM, so that
when you hit PTT, you banged the hell out of the final and filtered
the hell out of the carrier, which went to maximum amplitude and
stayed there, and the information was put on the constant amplitude
carrier by varying its frequency (or phase).

AM and SSB finals were _always_ linear amps and, like John said, the
_amplitude_ of the carrier/sideband(s) followed the amplitude of the
modulating audio precisely.

Whether you use a MOSFET as a switch or as a resistive element
yielding a linearly varying output depends on how you tailor the
characteristics of the MOSFET to fit the application. After all,
there are lots of linear audio amps out there with MOSFET class A and
class B finals, aren't there? So why shouldn't there be linear MOSFET
RF amps as well?

--
John Fields
Old August 27th 04, 09:00 PM
John Larkin

wrote:

[...]

That means, to get a linear amp, the input signal has to be converted
to PWM gate drive. That's hard to do at high frequencies. At 300 MHz,
a power mosfet doesn't much look like a high-speed switch any more.

John

Old August 27th 04, 11:39 PM
Tim Wescott

MOHBR) wrote:

[...]

RF guys call the amplifier "linear" if the output, after filtering,
looks like a bigger version of the input -- basically the same criterion
as any other amplifier. The reason that you can get away with half as
many active elements as with an audio amplifier is because if the
modulation is narrow compared to the carrier each half of the waveform
looks the same, so amplifying half of it then filtering reconstructs the
half you didn't play with.

Class A amplifiers (and push-pull class AB or B amplifiers) are used in
RF work, but mostly because they cut down on the harmonics that must be
filtered out.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Old August 27th 04, 11:40 PM
Tim Wescott

wrote:

[...]

Don't operate SSB much, do you?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Old August 27th 04, 11:42 PM
Tim Wescott

John Fields wrote:

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:28:39 +0100, Paul Burridge
wrote:

-- snip --
[...]

Well, AM tube finals were often operated class C with the modulation
applied to the plate supply. This is harder to do with silicon because
the varying collector voltage modulates the collector-base capacitance
and causes weird phase shifts.

And there are linear MOSFET RF amps; they're necessary for single-sideband.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

TV7 Bias pot Francesco Sartorello Boatanchors 0 November 2nd 04 06:54 PM
GS35B bias Ron Homebrew 0 April 12th 04 02:25 AM
GS35B bias Ron Homebrew 0 April 12th 04 02:25 AM
Using a power mosfet to select from various power sources for HFrig James W Homebrew 8 March 9th 04 01:59 AM
Using a power mosfet to select from various power sources for HFrig James W Homebrew 0 March 8th 04 07:33 AM