Old November 19th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What is this signal on 4.005 MHz?

I'm hearing a strong digital signal of some sort when my radio is in CW
mode, on 4.005 MHz in north Texas during the evening hours. Sounds like
high-speed Morse code. I've done a web search with no luck, except that
Vatican Radio supposedly transmits on that frequency. Any idea what this is
and where it's coming from?

Thanks!

Matt J. McCullar, KJ5BA
Arlington, TX

Old November 19th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Its RTTY at 75 baud,

Think its from a news source....I'd pinpoint it for you but dont have my
Kantronics KAM XL hooked up right now.

. net...

Old November 19th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Matt J. McCullar wrote:

I'm hearing a strong digital signal of some sort when my radio is in CW
mode, on 4.005 MHz in north Texas during the evening hours. Sounds like
high-speed Morse code. I've done a web search with no luck, except that
Vatican Radio supposedly transmits on that frequency. Any idea what this is
and where it's coming from?

Thanks!

Matt J. McCullar, KJ5BA
Arlington, TX

I'm receiving it in Calgary, Albert Canada also.
S2 to S3 with lots of background hiss. It's almost like a cross between
radio teletype and morse but that may be due to muting by the noise.

03:17 GMT
Kenwood R2000
100 ft north south wire antenna

mike
Old November 19th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Rayburn wrote:

Its RTTY at 75 baud,

Think its from a news source....I'd pinpoint it for you but dont have my
Kantronics KAM XL hooked up right now.

"Matt J. McCullar" wrote in message
. net...
I'm hearing a strong digital signal of some sort when my radio is in CW
mode, on 4.005 MHz in north Texas during the evening hours. Sounds like
high-speed Morse code. I've done a web search with no luck, except that
Vatican Radio supposedly transmits on that frequency. Any idea what this
is
and where it's coming from?

Thanks!

Matt J. McCullar, KJ5BA
Arlington, TX

Its coming in s9 and over in Austin.
I'm trying to decode it with LinPSK Software for Linux, but no such luck.
I'm new to the data modes and so far the only thing I can successfully
decode is ham rtty. Is there something else going on with this feed,
encryption maybe? Also, I don't have the ability to set the baud rate with
this software. Should that matter?

Thanks -
- Matt

Old November 19th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Matt J. McCullar" wrote in message
. net...
I'm hearing a strong digital signal of some sort when my radio is in CW
mode, on 4.005 MHz in north Texas during the evening hours. Sounds like
high-speed Morse code. I've done a web search with no luck, except that
Vatican Radio supposedly transmits on that frequency. Any idea what this
is
and where it's coming from?

Thanks!

Matt J. McCullar, KJ5BA
Arlington, TX

It is FSK (like RTTY). It is 850 Hz shift, 75 Baud.
It is s9+10 in southern California at 0400 UTC.
There are commercial and military signals
like this. Typically, if it is commercial,
the frequency will pop up if you google it.
Assuming you googled thoroughly, it is probably
military.
There are a dozen or more other stations like it
across the HF band (commercial and mil).
They aren't ASCII. They aren't Baudot.

--
rb

Old November 19th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You have to be able to change the shift to a wide shift (850 hz) instead of
the narow shift found in the amateur bands. you have to be able to adjust
the baud rate in the program .
"Radio TexMex" wrote in message
.. .

Old November 20th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Rayburn wrote:
You have to be able to change the shift to a wide shift (850 hz) instead of
the narow shift found in the amateur bands. you have to be able to adjust
the baud rate in the program .

And you still won't be able to copy anything. Even 10-15 years ago,
about half the FSK out there were these wide shift signals, encrypted
and probably synchronous (no start and stop bits). Speculation: either
broadcasts to maritime (fishing fleets?) or links for military sites
too small for more expensive communications.

Mark Zenier