Old December 20th 03, 07:03 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:

In article .net, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

That means passing the post-restructuring 35 question Tech test is "more
difficult" than passing both the pre-restructuring 30 question Novice
test *and* the 5 wpm code receiving test.

Yes.

Well, there you have it. Element 1 is easier than 5 questions on the written
test.

Balderdash!

(But only barely, and it is woefully inadequate for the resultant
privileges.)

Woefully inadequate? FCC disagrees! In fact, in 2000 FCC drastically *reduced*
the written testing needed for a Tech. From two tests and pools, frowm which
were derived tests with a total of 65 questions down to one test of 35
questions and a combined pool.

FCC thinks that 35 question Tech test is adequate. The same FCC that sees "no
regulatory purpose" in code tests.

Is FCC mistaken?

Another argument for the no test agenda:

We regularly hurtle at each other at combined speeds of 150 miles per
hour and more, wearing nothing but street clothes, and strapped into
devices carrying a large load of almomst explosivly flammable liquid.

And we're afraid to let people run radios that are putting out the same
power as the microwave oven over my stove?

Have the changes of 2000 gotten us more tinkerers per unit time than

before?

What the hell are "tinkerers per unit time"?

Sorry, Hans, I thought you had an engineering background. ;-)

I'll rephrase:

Have the changes of 2000 resulted in more tinkerers entering the ARS in a given
time period (say, per year) than before the changes were made?

Most of the tinkerers I know are pro-code test amateurs. Mine isn't a
scientific survey, but I've noticed a common thread among them. They are
very interested in RF technology. They are intensely interested in
Amateur radio. They really like getting their hands down into the
equipment. And whether this is related or not, they are also very
interested in Morse code. I've seen some cutting edge stuff made by
these same people.

I do not know one technician that has done as much as build his or her
own antenna. Well wait, I built a 1/4 wave ground plane for 2 meters
when I was a Tech. But that's it.

Based on that admittidly small sample, I would have to say that we are
putting out less tinkers per unit time, and almost certainly less per
hamcapita. (Hans, that means tinkerers per total numbe of Hams. 8^))

- Mike KB3EIA -