Old January 7th 04, 08:01 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article k.net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

What does Jim's story have to do with license testing?

Simple.

It shows that the FCC has very wide authority to set license test criteria,
including
such concepts as "character" and "discipline". Merely passing the tests is not
the only requirement for a license grant.

Normally the FCC assumes that all applicants for a ham license are "of good
character" unless there is a reason to suspect differently.

I think FCC could indeed legally implement Hans' one-shot learner license with
its upgrade-or-out provision. Their argument would be that someone who was a
ham for 10 years and yet c/wouldn't pass the full-privs test simply didn't have
the required "character" or "discipline" to stay in the ARS.

Hoo, I wonder how that would stand up in the courts! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -