Old January 10th 04, 05:23 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
k.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

Your usage is still incorrect. There
is nothing in Part 97 that assigns
authority to hams to do public
service either. I've read part 97
from beginning to end. (snip)

Then you either cannot read or cannot understand what you've read.
Regardless, if you truly feel Part 97 does not authorize us to do public
service, then I simply don't have the time to convince you otherwise.

Since no one is prohibited from doing public service, no authorization is
needed. However, if one wishes to use ham frequencies, they have to have
license but that is an authorization to operate specified frequencies not an
authorization to do public service.

If you will read 97.1, Basis and Purpose, it only lists recognition of and
encouragement of public service as one part of the basis and purpose. That
does not confer any type of mandate or authorization to the amateur to do
public service. It is a recognition of what we do and the value of what we
do. It is a good and solid justification to use for the continued existence
of amateur radio. Nothing more.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE