Old January 11th 04, 02:42 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Dee D. Flint wrote:

Since no one is prohibited from doing
public service, no authorization is
needed. (snip)

To do the types of public service we're authorized to do (MARS, RACES, and
so on), authorization is required.

Sec. 97.407
(a) No station may transmit in RACES
unless it is an FCC-licensed primary,
club, or military recreation station and
it is certified by a civil defense organization
as registered with that organization, or it
is an FCC-licensed RACES station. (snip)

Care to show me where Part 95 authorizes CB'ers to operate a station at
all similar to a RACES station? What about a MARS station? What about
operations serving government agencies and others? In fact, show me where
Part 95 authorizes any activity beyond the recreational use of those
frequencies.

(snip) It is a recognition of what we
do and the value of what we do. It is
a good and solid justification to use
for the continued existence of amateur
radio. Nothing more.

Sadly, far too many in Amateur Radio today have that attitude towards
public service.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/