Old January 21st 04, 12:11 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Harris" wrote in message
JJ wrote:

Oh great, I get to be an Extra by default. I had rather keep my
Advanced, advanced even sounds more advanced than Extra does.

Yeah, my son is a Tech Plus. He was thinking of upgrading to General last
year but didn't bother. Now he stands to get a free upgrade. The message
is clear: Don't knock yourself out; be patient and eventually they'll give
you everything without asking you to expend any effort.

Art Harris N2AH

Actually I wonder if the ARRL petition isn't a crafty ruse. It will look
good to people who want what it proposes but has high odds of being rejected
by the FCC since the FCC has a long history of shooting down automatic
upgrades. They get the "attaboy" for "trying" and can then lay it at the
FCC's door when it fails even though they may want it to fail.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE