Old January 27th 04, 08:48 PM
stewart

(Jason Hsu) wrote in message . com...

As far as I can tell, people want the Novice license back so
entry-level hams can have some HF privileges.

NO! It has very little to do with HF! It is all about OLD FARTS
wanting to keep Ham Radio an "Old Boy's Club".

But the proposal would
REDUCE the privileges of current Novices, which I don't think is fair
(even if 99.9% of Novices are inactive). I think the Novice
privileges should be left alone. And I don't see a need for the FCC
to issue new Novice licenses again given the fact that most new hams
chose the No-Code Tech license over the Novice license during the
period when both were available.

Your logic is obviously flawed. These Techs chose NoCode, because
they didn't want to do the code! How many young people (and other
beginners) WOULD have chosen NoCode Novice, IF it had been available?
You don't know (NOBODY KNOWS!), but I can assure you, it would have
been LOTS!

Look; Here is the problem in a nutshell:

When the Novice license was eliminated during the last restructuring,
it actually made it harder for young people to get into the
Service/hobby. The ARRL proposal brings back the entry-level testing
requirements; albiet, without the Morse Code requirement (which is
totally out-of-date, anyway).

With the advent and growth of the Internet, Cell Phones,
FRS/GMRS/MURS, etc., Ham radio privileges and requirements have become
totally out of whack with the times. This proposal brings things up
to date for the 21st Century, and gives the young citizens of this
country back the entry-level license.

It is the RIGHT THING TO DO.

- Stewart
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MURS-OPEN