Old January 27th 04, 03:30 AM
Jason Hsu

Default Do we really need a new Novice class?

First, I must praise the ARRL directors for proposing a compromise.
No matter what they proposed, they were destined to be buried in
hatemail.

Having said this, I think the proposal didn't fix all that was broken
(read: Morse Code exam requirement) and also fixed things that didn't
need to be fixed.

As far as I can tell, people want the Novice license back so
entry-level hams can have some HF privileges. But the proposal would
REDUCE the privileges of current Novices, which I don't think is fair
(even if 99.9% of Novices are inactive). I think the Novice
privileges should be left alone. And I don't see a need for the FCC
to issue new Novice licenses again given the fact that most new hams
chose the No-Code Tech license over the Novice license during the
period when both were available.

I have a better idea: Why not just give all Technicians (include the
No-Coders) Tech Plus privileges? This gives the entry-level license
class some HF privileges. Like most of you, I disagree with the free
upgrade to General. Expanding Novice/Tech Plus HF privileges seems to
me to be a better idea. And if the current Novices are such a burden,
why not just upgrade them to Tech Plus?

I applaud the ARRL for reducing the Morse Code testing requirement
further in the proposal, but it could have proposed a complete
elimination. The reasons for eliminating the Morse Code requirement
for the General license apply for the Amateur Extra license as well.
There's also a practical reason to fully eliminate the Morse Code exam
- the need to keep track of which current Technicians and new Generals
passed the 5 wpm exam and which did not.

In short, I think that the current license system is mostly OK. The
only change I think is necessary is the elimination of the Morse Code
testing requirement.

Jason Hsu, AG4DG
usenet AAAAATTTTT jasonhsu.com
Old January 27th 04, 04:02 AM
KØHB

"Jason Hsu" wrote

| But the proposal would REDUCE the privileges of current
| Novices, which I don't think is fair.

?????????? REDUCE ?????????????

Maybe I missed something, but to my mind the proposed new priviledges
for the Novice class seem decidedly more generous than the current set.

Several new bands; broader segments on CW; new phone and data privileges
on bands where they currently have only Morse privileges.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old January 27th 04, 08:48 PM
stewart

(Jason Hsu) wrote in message . com...

As far as I can tell, people want the Novice license back so
entry-level hams can have some HF privileges.

NO! It has very little to do with HF! It is all about OLD FARTS
wanting to keep Ham Radio an "Old Boy's Club".

But the proposal would
REDUCE the privileges of current Novices, which I don't think is fair
(even if 99.9% of Novices are inactive). I think the Novice
privileges should be left alone. And I don't see a need for the FCC
to issue new Novice licenses again given the fact that most new hams
chose the No-Code Tech license over the Novice license during the
period when both were available.

Your logic is obviously flawed. These Techs chose NoCode, because
they didn't want to do the code! How many young people (and other
beginners) WOULD have chosen NoCode Novice, IF it had been available?
You don't know (NOBODY KNOWS!), but I can assure you, it would have
been LOTS!

Look; Here is the problem in a nutshell:

When the Novice license was eliminated during the last restructuring,
it actually made it harder for young people to get into the
Service/hobby. The ARRL proposal brings back the entry-level testing
requirements; albiet, without the Morse Code requirement (which is
totally out-of-date, anyway).

With the advent and growth of the Internet, Cell Phones,
FRS/GMRS/MURS, etc., Ham radio privileges and requirements have become
totally out of whack with the times. This proposal brings things up
to date for the 21st Century, and gives the young citizens of this
country back the entry-level license.

It is the RIGHT THING TO DO.

- Stewart
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MURS-OPEN
Old January 27th 04, 10:10 PM
WA8ULX

This proposal brings things up
to date for the 21st Century

This is there Buzz Phrase, what it means is they are to Dumb or to Lazy, take
your pick

Old January 28th 04, 12:55 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"stewart" wrote in message
om...
(Jason Hsu) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

TRANSLATION:

I want it all and do nothing for it. I am a product of the non-productive
useless jerks in America today.

Dan/W4NTI

Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st Dwight Stewart Policy 300 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM
NCVEC NPRM for elimination of horse and buggy morse code requirement. Keith Policy 1 July 31st 03 03:46 AM