Old February 7th 04, 10:49 PM
Robert Casey

Nuns in Catholic grammar school routinely used violence on the kids, but
would
sure be upset about anything vaguely about sex....

Is that really what we want to teach our children?

I wouldn't want to subject kids to the crap I had to endure in said
school.

When you get right down to it, except for a few shameful and widely
publicized exceptions, todays kids suffer from too little rather than too
much physical punishment.

I disagree! Beating children simply means the beater can't think of
a better way to deal with the kid.

It also teaches the kid at a very primeval level that violence is a
legitimate method of getting what you want from others.

It also delivered a message that people in authority are likely to abuse
their positions
and cannot be trusted. As the teachers often punished kids that didn't
misbehave
as the ones that did. Throw in it being the Vietnam era and .....

Sometimes teachers try to "teach respect" with violence. Well, if "fear and
hatred" = "respect" then it worked.... But I don't think respect does
equal
that.

We also had male nuns, called "brothers". CFX was their callsign, stood
for -something-something-Xavier. One of them was an ex marine drill
seargent,
and thought nothing beating on a kid 20 minutes non-stop. Another was from
the Navy, and also could beat on a kid even longer.

Not suprizing that some kids tried to burn the school down. No
real damage, something like a wastepaper basket on fire. We
always hoped it was the real thing whenever they did a fire drill
(after the fire dept made them not pre-announce that there'd be a
drill today).