Old February 9th 04, 01:47 AM
jj

Default Excessive RF Exposure from Long Wire?

Hello friends,

I am thinking about pushing my FT-57GX into service from my third
floor apartment in the city. I have a good tuner, so one simple
approach might be to connect a wire from the tuner and run the wire
outside. Since I am not physically near the ground, I can run a wire
to the cold water pipe and use my MFJ Artifical Ground to tune the
reactance out of the ground system.

The one concern I have is that while operating I will be sitting near
the tuner and therefore near the wire antenna and the ground wire, at
the least the portion of them that connects to the tuner. Both the
antenna and ground wire will presumably be carrying sizable RF
currents when I am transmitting. Should I be concerned about RF
exposure from this set-up (running up to 100 watts)?

Thanks,

JJ