Old February 9th 04, 01:47 AM
jj

Default Excessive RF Exposure from Long Wire?

Hello friends,

I am thinking about pushing my FT-57GX into service from my third
floor apartment in the city. I have a good tuner, so one simple
approach might be to connect a wire from the tuner and run the wire
outside. Since I am not physically near the ground, I can run a wire
to the cold water pipe and use my MFJ Artifical Ground to tune the
reactance out of the ground system.

The one concern I have is that while operating I will be sitting near
the tuner and therefore near the wire antenna and the ground wire, at
the least the portion of them that connects to the tuner. Both the
antenna and ground wire will presumably be carrying sizable RF
currents when I am transmitting. Should I be concerned about RF
exposure from this set-up (running up to 100 watts)?

Thanks,

JJ
Old February 9th 04, 03:03 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

The one concern I have is that while operating I will be sitting near
the tuner and therefore near the wire antenna and the ground wire, at
the least the portion of them that connects to the tuner. Both the
antenna and ground wire will presumably be carrying sizable RF
currents when I am transmitting. Should I be concerned about RF
exposure from this set-up (running up to 100 watts)?

Thanks,

JJ

Don't worry about it. Hams and RF engineers at radio stations were and are
exposed to huge by comparison levels of RF and they live long. This RF exposure
crap is in the same category as global warming, vegetarian crap and ozone hole.

Enjoy your radio.

Yuri, K3BU
Old February 9th 04, 04:53 AM
W4JLE

You will suffer the burning pain of global warming before the 100 Watts will
bother you...

But then again, I could probably get a lawyer to prove your endangering my
life, here in South Carolina, every time you key up.

Mores the pity...

om...

Old February 9th 04, 01:01 PM
Richard Fry

"jj" wrote:

Should I be concerned about RF exposure from this
set-up (running up to 100 watts)?

________________

OET Bulletin 65 of the FCC covers radiation hazards and limits for US
transmitting stations, including amateur radio. The bulletin is available
on line as a PDF file at the link below.

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineeri...et65/oet65.pdf

Pages 15-18 describe amateur radio requirements.

RF

Old February 9th 04, 03:37 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineeri.../bulletins/oet

65/oet65.pdf

Pages 15-18 describe amateur radio requirements.

RF

\

Pile of unfounded bullsheet! Biggest crock with ARRL saupport.

When you get to UHF and microwaves, Yes, there is the problem, mainly due to
heating effect.

But up 30 MHz, just ask any of the 90 year old OF hams and broadcast engineers
that lived their lives in the RF fields. Most of them lead active life, free of
cancer (unless they smoked it in).

Yuri

Old February 9th 04, 06:14 PM
Cecil Moore

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
But up 30 MHz, just ask any of the 90 year old OF hams and broadcast engineers
that lived their lives in the RF fields. Most of them lead active life, free of
cancer (unless they smoked it in).

How about all the people who once swore by diathermy treatments
offered by many doctors? Are they still available?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 9th 04, 09:48 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

How about all the people who once swore by diathermy treatments
offered by many doctors? Are they still available?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

I dunno. Ask them?
I am using magnetothermia and it helps.

Yuri
Old February 9th 04, 11:55 PM
jj

I was thinking about a possible solution to this type of problem, and
would like some feedback on it. Since the current in the random wire
should be approximately equal and opposite to the current in the tuned
ground line, why not use a 10 foot(or so) length of coax, balanced
line, or twisted pair for the antenna and ground for the first ten
feet from the tuner, and separate the wires beyond that? Shouldn't
this approach reduce the radiation close to the operator?

- JJ
Old February 10th 04, 02:49 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Yuri Blanarovich" wrote in message

How about all the people who once swore by diathermy treatments
offered by many doctors? Are they still available?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

I dunno. Ask them?
I am using magnetothermia and it helps.

Diathermy, or 'Violet Ray', is still used in
beauty schools and dermatologist's offices.
There are some skin diseases that respond
to UV...
__
Steve
..

Old February 10th 04, 05:18 AM
Cecil Moore

Stephen Cowell wrote:
Diathermy, or 'Violet Ray', is still used in
beauty schools and dermatologist's offices.
There are some skin diseases that respond
to UV...

If I remember right, diathermy operated around 11m. I remember
hearing them when I was in high school.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Long Wire Balun Cecil Moore Antenna 16 February 25th 04 01:26 AM
randon wire newbie question lethal Antenna 4 February 7th 04 11:01 AM
Open Wire Feeder Switching Ideas ? DOUGLAS SNOWDEN Antenna 4 December 30th 03 07:37 PM
Any Good Or Useful For Listening Only ?: WiNRADiO WR-LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter Robert11 Antenna 1 November 6th 03 03:47 AM
Opinions please G5 against long wire against windom? Chris Bartlett Antenna 1 July 31st 03 11:15 PM