Old March 17th 04, 11:48 PM
JJ

Steve Stone wrote:

NexTel, &diety's gift to first responders with their PTT feature, lacks more than a few hours
of battery backup at their tower sites and that is only if the batteries have been maintained.
After that it's "The Number You Dialed Is not Working"

Steve
N2UBP

I just came from a seminar with USN Rear Admiral Daniel Stone, Director
of Logistics and Engineering for NORAD/USNORTHCOM, he reports directly
to General Eberhart, commander of NORAD. One of the issues discussed
was emergency communications in times of disasters like 9/11. I ask him
about the use of cell phones during such times, he just laughed and said
that the cell phone network was useless for any emergency comms in such
a scenario. Witless willie's cell phone network is not even a
consideration in their emergency planning. He also works with The Office
of Homeland Defense on emergengy communications issues and he confirmed
that the OHD is attempting to intergrate Amateur Radio in their plans
for emergency comms.