Old February 12th 04, 08:08 PM

On 12 Feb 2004 14:33:34 EST, am (Gary V.
Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote:

Hi Map

Why go to all of that expense?

Within any given residential or commercial block, there are many 'dead
(as far as for phone to switch)' phone pairs. Some of these can be
utilized to connect a network between two homes or two offices, or
sometimes between home and office.
Two of my Uncles homes and their offices were connected this way and
they had no troubles from it.

TTUL
Gary

Depending on who your local telco is, it can be nearly
imossible to get them to hook you up to these dry pairs. It used to be
common; then the telcos decided they'd rather not make this kind of
cheap connectivity available to the general public. I believe I've
heard of some people persuading the telco to set them up by saying it
was to be used for an alarm system between the two ends.