Old February 11th 04, 01:31 PM
MAP

Default Wireless lan

Hi all,
I would like to create a wireless lan joining 2 sites that are about 50
meters (150 feet) apart. The problem is that my neightbor has a BIG
parabolic antenna only 50 cm from where I have to put mine, and my signal
has to pass through his antenna (my antenna has to point his antenna, the
other site is in that direction). Should this be a problem?? I will create
interferences in his antenna? He will create on mine?? how many dbi need to
accomplish that?

Thanks

MAP

Old February 11th 04, 08:16 PM
Richard Clark

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:31:18 GMT, "MAP" wrote:

Hi all,
I would like to create a wireless lan joining 2 sites that are about 50
meters (150 feet) apart. The problem is that my neightbor has a BIG
parabolic antenna only 50 cm from where I have to put mine, and my signal
has to pass through his antenna (my antenna has to point his antenna, the
other site is in that direction). Should this be a problem?? I will create
interferences in his antenna? He will create on mine?? how many dbi need to
accomplish that?

Thanks

MAP

Hi OM,

Think in terms of a narrow beam flash light, a nearby beach umbrella,
and the point you want to illuminate. Will the umbrella cast a shadow
over that point? If so, think how bright the flash light has to be so
that you could read a contract's fine print in the shadow on the other
side.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 12th 04, 07:33 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Map

Why go to all of that expense?

Within any given residential or commercial block, there are many 'dead
(as far as for phone to switch)' phone pairs. Some of these can be
utilized to connect a network between two homes or two offices, or
sometimes between home and office.
Two of my Uncles homes and their offices were connected this way and
they had no troubles from it.

TTUL
Gary

Old February 12th 04, 09:22 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
wrote:

Depending on who your local telco is, it can be nearly
imossible to get them to hook you up to these dry pairs. It used to be
common; then the telcos decided they'd rather not make this kind of
cheap connectivity available to the general public. I believe I've
heard of some people persuading the telco to set them up by saying it
was to be used for an alarm system between the two ends.

Yes, "burglar alarm" and "dry pair" seems to be the set of magic
phrases to use.

I've heard of people using this sort of wire pair, with a couple of
off-the-shelf SDSL modems, to create a very effective medium-haul data
link between buildings a few miles apart.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO