Old April 14th 04, 02:20 AM
Jim Hampton

"Robert Casey" wrote in message

I was thinking of the part where you have to decide when and what to
add, multiply, etc.

Most 3 credit classes are harder, but I had a few that were
"give-aways". Maybe
I should say "as hard as an easier hour test taken early in a freshman
college class".

Robert,

All I can add here is that any Ohm's law problems I've seen have perhaps two
resistors in parallel with the combination in series with a third. That
hardly compares with first year college material with a modest network of
resistors (perhaps 12 or so) and a couple of different emf sources thrown
in - and you solve for the current and direction in one of the resistors
(first year, D.C. It gets worse, of course LOL).

Ah .... 1st year physics. Hmmm ... calculus was involved here. I don't
ever recall anything of that magnatude in an amateur radio exam. I also
doubt a 7 year old would likely pass such physics exams.

While I have no problem with the elimination of Morse code, nor have I a
problem with an easy entry level license, I am rather perplexed with the
continued insistance that the tests are too hard. I am also somewhat
surprised at a free ride of either codeless techs or tech plusses being
moved to general. The only techs which got the free ride were the techs
from years ago who took the general theory. The only difference was the 5
words per minute vs the 13 words per minute of the general class license.
When the code requirement was dropped to 5 words per minute, the old techs
had already passed the entire exam for new general class licensees. Hmmmm
.... come to think of it, they didn't get a 'free' ride - they passed the
same elements as newly issued general class licenses.

Just my thoughts ...

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---