Old May 7th 04, 08:41 PM
Mike Coslo

stewart wrote:
(Jason Hsu) wrote in message . com...

... But insisting on meeting all
three of these goals requires that Technician licensees be
automatically upgraded to General. If it's that essential that there
only be 3 license classes, then why not keep the Technician license
and upgrade the current Novices to Technician?

Because we need to bring back the eliminated entry-level license!

We have a perfectly good entry level license, the Technician level.

If a new entry-level
license is necessary, then what's wrong with having 4 license classes
instead of 3?

Because it is UNNECESSARY... the General, Technician, and TechPlus
tests are/were virtually identical - ergo, MERGE 'EM ALL!

I took all of my tests during the last restructuring, and the tests are
not even close to identical.

What's wrong with compromising on #1 or #2?

Forget it... NO MORE COMPROMISING! It has been attempted over the
years, and all these foot-draggers want to do is pull us back to
December 6, 1941...

Wow, some spin there, Stewart! and just whose "no more compromising" are
you talking about? And are you suggesting that Code tested hams are
responsible for Pearl Harbor? ;^)

'aint gonna happen McGee... It is 2004, and we
have Cell Phones, the Internet, 125 Channels on TV, etc., etc., etc...
time for US Ham Radio to join the 21st century.

Morse Code will now officially be IRRELEVANT (at least as far as
Novice and General Classes are concerned). LIVE WITH IT.

The ARRL proposal is PERFECT... time to MOVE ON!

I wouldn't know why morse shouldn't be eliminated for Extra also, it it
is eliminated for the General class.

And no, the ARRL proposal isn't anywhere near perfect.

The Morse code requirement for Extra is just a bone thrown to the
people that still want Element 1 testing. If we are going to get rid of
element one, get rid of it for cryin' out loud. Why subject it to a
lingering decline?

Over half of the Generals will then have been tested at the Technician
level. Despite what you say, the tests are quite different. I've taken
them all, and in my experience and opinion, they are appropriate for the
privileges granted.

The administrative quagmire of Novice and Advanced class licensees that
is stated as the reason for further untested upgrading simply doesn't exist.

Not a terribly perfect plan at all.

- Mike KB3EIA -