Old April 15th 04, 01:50 AM
Jason Hsu

Default Can anyone explain why Technicians should be upgraded to General?

It seems that ever since the ARRL made its restructuring proposal,
many of my fellow Anti-Code-Testers have jumped onto the ARRL
restructuring bandwagon. The NCVEC submitted a new proposal that
seemed to piggyback on the ARRL's proposal instead of sticking to the
old proposal. What happened? I thought that eliminating the Morse
Code testing requirement was the #1 most important thing in
restructuring. Would there still be an alleged need to upgrade
Technicians to General if the ARRL hadn't suggested this?

Is there any reason to support this idea other than the alleged needs
1. Reduce the number of license classes to 3
2. Introduce a new entry-level license
3. Avoid downgrading privileges

I fully agree with #3, the need to avoid downgrading privileges. #1
and #2 individually sound reasonable. But insisting on meeting all
three of these goals requires that Technician licensees be
automatically upgraded to General. If it's that essential that there
only be 3 license classes, then why not keep the Technician license
and upgrade the current Novices to Technician? If a new entry-level
license is necessary, then what's wrong with having 4 license classes
instead of 3? What's wrong with compromising on #1 or #2?

Can anyone provide any other reason why Technicians should be upgraded
to General? I realize that there are some Technicians from before a
certain date in 1987 who passed the General exam, but I the
restructuring of 2000 allows them to upgrade without taking a single
exam. The current General exam question pool has always been much
more advanced than the Technician exam question pool and is a great
deal larger. Today's No-Code Technicians haven't had to study the
General exam material, which goes into substantial depth on HF issues.
The General exam has always been separate from the Technician exam.
While most of the current Amateur Extra question pool was covered in
the old Advanced question pool, you can't argue that most of the
current General question pool was covered in the Technician question
pool. Upgrading Advanced licensees to Amateur Extra in the interest
of merging license classes sounds reasonable due to the similarity
between the two classes. But upgrading Technician licensees to
General is too extreme given the wide gulf in required knowledge. (I
realize that there are Technicians with more know-how than some
Amateur Extras, but these Technicians should have a big advantage on
the General exam.)

I've heard some defenders of this upgrade argue that No-Code
Technicians should have HF privileges. But eliminating the Morse Code
exam requirement would give the No-Code Technicians all Novice/Tech
Plus privileges and also make it easier for them to upgrade to
General. I realize that Novice/Tech Plus privileges on HF are
extremely limited, but that can be resolved simply by expanding these
privileges. These more modest measures would address the rationale
for the automatic upgrades WITHOUT resorting to such extremes.

I advocate eliminating the Morse Code testing requirement because its
unilateral authority makes no sense. But the written exams do make
sense because they are relevant to operating. Not every question will
be relevant to everyone, but many will be. I don't believe the
General exam poses an undue burden on No-Code Technicians. The
questions are all multiple-choice, the question pool is public
information, and no one topic or question has the unilateral authority
of the Morse Code testing requirement. The more experienced and
knowledgeable Technicians won't have to expend much effort in studying
in order to upgrade. The current written exams aren't perfect, but I
can't think of a better system that wouldn't pose an undue burden on
applicants, VEs, or the FCC.

Jason Hsu, AG4DG
Old April 15th 04, 01:26 PM
Steve Stone

If doesn't matter who gets on HF anyone and their class or lack of a license .

BPL is going to wipe it all out in a short time and HF will be useless.

Then again BPL might be an easy hack for those so inclined.
Old April 19th 04, 08:38 AM
D. Stussy

On Thu, 14 Apr 2004, Jason Hsu wrote:
It seems that ever since the ARRL made its restructuring proposal, ...

Is there any reason to support this idea other than the alleged needs
1. Reduce the number of license classes to 3

Why do we even need 3? Why not simply TWO: Below 30Mhz and above 30Mhz, and
people can hold both.

2. Introduce a new entry-level license

A new "entry-level" license: Why? The TECHNICIAN class, as it is now, IS the
entry-level license. It doesn't matter that it was not originally meant to be;
it has evolved into such. If the ARRL can't see that, then their leadership are
truly idiots.

3. Avoid downgrading privileges

I fully agree with #3, the need to avoid downgrading privileges. #1
and #2 individually sound reasonable. But insisting on meeting all
three of these goals requires that Technician licensees be
automatically upgraded to General. If it's that essential that there
only be 3 license classes, then why not keep the Technician license
and upgrade the current Novices to Technician? If a new entry-level
license is necessary, then what's wrong with having 4 license classes
instead of 3? What's wrong with compromising on #1 or #2?

I disagree. However, if a license privilege is going to change, there should be
a transitional period of two years where a person can do whatever is needed to
upgrade to the appropriate class where the privilege will be retained (or
expanded, if that class has more privilege), and for all those who do not
upgrade, they get what they deserve by their inaction.

Can anyone provide any other reason why Technicians should be upgraded ...

Old April 19th 04, 01:16 PM
WA8ULX

If the ARRL can't see that, then their leadership are
truly idiots.

You just figured that out.

Old April 19th 04, 01:48 PM
Bert Craig

"D. Stussy" wrote in message
g...
It doesn't matter that it was not originally meant to be;
it has evolved into such. If the ARRL can't see that, then their

leadership are
truly idiots.

I like this statement. The recognition of evolution wrt radio services is
somewhat dear to my heart. ggg

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old April 23rd 04, 06:49 AM
D. Stussy

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, WA8ULX wrote:
If the ARRL can't see that, then their leadership are
truly idiots.

You just figured that out.

No. I've known that for years. However, the person I replied to never seemed
to have figured that out for himself.
Old May 7th 04, 02:51 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: Can anyone explain why Technicians should be upgraded to
General?
From: (stewart)
Date: 5/6/2004 5:44 PM Central Standard Time
(Jason Hsu) wrote in message
.com...
... But insisting on meeting all
three of these goals requires that Technician licensees be
automatically upgraded to General. If it's that essential that there
only be 3 license classes, then why not keep the Technician license
and upgrade the current Novices to Technician?

Because we need to bring back the eliminated entry-level license!

No, we don't.

All of the Amatuer Radio periodicals are ripe with stories of K I D S
passing ALL classes of Amatuer Radio licensure.

If a new entry-level
license is necessary, then what's wrong with having 4 license classes
instead of 3?

Because it is UNNECESSARY... the General, Technician, and TechPlus
tests are/were virtually identical - ergo, MERGE 'EM ALL!

"Virtually identical"...?!?!

You really ARE an idiot. Not to mention that you've not been keeping
abreast of the question pools.

What's wrong with compromising on #1 or #2?

Forget it... NO MORE COMPROMISING! It has been attempted over the
years, and all these foot-draggers want to do is pull us back to
December 6, 1941... 'aint gonna happen McGee... It is 2004, and we
have Cell Phones, the Internet, 125 Channels on TV, etc., etc., etc...
time for US Ham Radio to join the 21st century.

It's already there.

Too bad you keep trying to take us back to 1951.

Morse Code will now officially be IRRELEVANT (at least as far as
Novice and General Classes are concerned). LIVE WITH IT.

Hardly irrelevant.

The ARRL proposal is PERFECT... time to MOVE ON!

No, it's not.

- Stewart (N0MHS)

Another "zero" worthy of the number.

Steve, K4YZ

Old May 7th 04, 08:41 PM
Mike Coslo

stewart wrote:
(Jason Hsu) wrote in message . com...

... But insisting on meeting all
three of these goals requires that Technician licensees be
automatically upgraded to General. If it's that essential that there
only be 3 license classes, then why not keep the Technician license
and upgrade the current Novices to Technician?

Because we need to bring back the eliminated entry-level license!

We have a perfectly good entry level license, the Technician level.

If a new entry-level
license is necessary, then what's wrong with having 4 license classes
instead of 3?

Because it is UNNECESSARY... the General, Technician, and TechPlus
tests are/were virtually identical - ergo, MERGE 'EM ALL!

I took all of my tests during the last restructuring, and the tests are
not even close to identical.

What's wrong with compromising on #1 or #2?

Forget it... NO MORE COMPROMISING! It has been attempted over the
years, and all these foot-draggers want to do is pull us back to
December 6, 1941...

Wow, some spin there, Stewart! and just whose "no more compromising" are
you talking about? And are you suggesting that Code tested hams are
responsible for Pearl Harbor? ;^)

'aint gonna happen McGee... It is 2004, and we
have Cell Phones, the Internet, 125 Channels on TV, etc., etc., etc...
time for US Ham Radio to join the 21st century.

Morse Code will now officially be IRRELEVANT (at least as far as
Novice and General Classes are concerned). LIVE WITH IT.

The ARRL proposal is PERFECT... time to MOVE ON!

I wouldn't know why morse shouldn't be eliminated for Extra also, it it
is eliminated for the General class.

And no, the ARRL proposal isn't anywhere near perfect.

The Morse code requirement for Extra is just a bone thrown to the
people that still want Element 1 testing. If we are going to get rid of
element one, get rid of it for cryin' out loud. Why subject it to a
lingering decline?

Over half of the Generals will then have been tested at the Technician
level. Despite what you say, the tests are quite different. I've taken
them all, and in my experience and opinion, they are appropriate for the
privileges granted.

The administrative quagmire of Novice and Advanced class licensees that
is stated as the reason for further untested upgrading simply doesn't exist.

Not a terribly perfect plan at all.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 8th 04, 09:49 PM
N2EY

(stewart) wrote in message . com...
(Jason Hsu) wrote in message . com...
... But insisting on meeting all
three of these goals requires that Technician licensees be
automatically upgraded to General. If it's that essential that there
only be 3 license classes, then why not keep the Technician license
and upgrade the current Novices to Technician?

Because we need to bring back the eliminated entry-level license!

The entry-level license now is the Technician. It has been obtained by
preschoolers, so it cannot be "too hard".

The old Novice license class required a simple written test and 5 wpm
code. Started many thousands of hams on their way.

If a new entry-level
license is necessary, then what's wrong with having 4 license classes
instead of 3?

Because it is UNNECESSARY... the General, Technician, and TechPlus
tests are/were virtually identical - ergo, MERGE 'EM ALL!

The Tech Plus and Tech writtens are indeed identical, but the General
(after March 21, 1987) is quite different.

And what is proposed by ARRL and NCVEC is to allow hundreds of
thousands of Techs and Tech Pluses to upgrade without any test at all.

What's wrong with compromising on #1 or #2?

Forget it... NO MORE COMPROMISING!

OK, fine.

No more compromising on code tests - all license classes to require at
least 5 wpm.

No more compromising on written tests - no free upgrades.

It has been attempted over the
years, and all these foot-draggers want to do is pull us back to
December 6, 1941... 'aint gonna happen McGee... It is 2004, and we
have Cell Phones, the Internet, 125 Channels on TV, etc., etc., etc...
time for US Ham Radio to join the 21st century.

What, exactly, are you talking about?

Morse Code will now officially be IRRELEVANT (at least as far as
Novice and General Classes are concerned). LIVE WITH IT.

Most of what's in the theory exams is also "irrelevant" if all someone
wants to do is use manufactured ham gear.

The ARRL proposal is PERFECT... time to MOVE ON!

Please explain why Techs should get a free upgrade to General, and
Advanceds a free upgrade to Extra, without taking the tests for those
licenses.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Why are so many defending the proposed automatic upgrade from Tech to General? Jason Hsu Policy 56 April 23rd 04 06:58 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Why the ARRL proposed upgrading Technicians to General Jason Hsu Policy 10 February 17th 04 01:46 PM
My alternative to upgrading all Technicians to General Jason Hsu Policy 2 January 28th 04 04:36 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM