Old May 20th 04, 03:41 AM
Jim Hampton

Hello, Phil

Was it a shocking experience? )

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
et...
On 18 May 2004 17:20:32 GMT, Michael Black wrote:

I learned of amateur radio because it was out there. I can't even
remember where I read about it first, maybe a magazine for Scouting
here in Canada, maybe it was "Jack & Jill" or "HIghtlights for Children"
and both of those magazines were aimed at quite a young crowd.

I learned about SWL-ing and ham radio from "Boy's Life", the
magazine of the Boy Scouts of America, when I was in the 8th grade.
It helped that a close family friend (a non-ham) had been a radio
repair tech in WW-II which had ended only a few years before and he
steered me in the right direction.

After messinmg around listening to and repairing AM and SW radios of
the late 1930s-1940s era, I finally got hooked on ham radio in the
11th Grade at the high school radio club (W2CLE, the oldest HS radio
club in the country, founded before WW-I). I got my Novice/Tech
license at the end of 11th Grade (1952). Along the way I changed my
intended college major from chemistry to electrical engineering.

Neither I nor ham radio nor electrical engineering has been the same
ever since.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

---