Old May 18th 04, 05:50 AM
KØHB

Default Is FCC ready to toss another bomb?

The following, written a few years back by my friend
Don Stoner, W6TNS, (SK) bears repeating. His
organization, NARA, is defunct, but the message
he states in his editorial is still absolutely valid.

73, de Hans, K0HB

In My Opinion....

An editorial by Donald L. Stoner, W6TNS

In November of 1988, the Federal Communications Commission
slipped a bomb into our hamshacks and lit the fuse.. The FCC
announced they were reallocating a portion of the 220 MHz
band to a new communications service based on a petition
submitted by United Parcel Service. Our national
organization, The American Radio Relay League has tried to
snuff out the fuse and get the decision reversed. But as
far as I can tell, the 220-222 MHz part of the band is a
goner!

How could this have happened? Well, for starters, we took
the Amateur Radio Service and our fraternity for granted. It
never occurred to us that the FCC might give some of "our"
frequencies away just because we didn't use them.

The FCC even warned us of their intention. In 1984 Robert
Foosaner was Chief of the FCC Private Radio Bureau. He
indicated in a CQ Magazine interview that the band was not
being used adequately. Mr. Foosaner flatly stated it might
be assigned to other services. Unfortunately we didn't
believe him .

I have a theory that the FCC confiscated these frequencies
to send Amateurs a message. I believe the message is "shape
up or ship out." Warm up the tar and start collecting
feathers if you like, but in my opinion, the Commission did
Amateurs an enormous favor. A two MHz slice of radio
frequency spectrum is a small price to pay for awakening us
from our long sleep.

The Amateur Radio Service is coming back to life after 20 or
more years of being totally oblivious to the changes taking
place all around us. Amateurs are starting to ask how they
can contribute to the fraternity. They want to improve
themselves and they want to see the service revitalized.
They want more young people to enjoy Amateur Radio.
Teachers, particularly those who are Amateurs, are beginning
to realize how the service can be used to educate our
youngsters in a number of disciplines.

This metamorphosis also happened to your humble editor in
November of 1988. I've enjoyed Amateur Radio for almost 40
years. In the 50's and 60's I wrote a number of books and
articles for Amateurs. I have also taken the Amateur Radio
Service for granted. I'm as guilty as anyone. But that
stopped when we lost part of the 220 MHz band. The National
Amateur Radio Association became more than just a gleam in
my eye.

What Are The Goals of NARA?

Broadly speaking, the goal of The National Amateur Radio
Association is the promotion of ham radio. The organization
has four specific goals within this broad framework. These
are to a) publicize or market Amateur Radio to the general
public, b) attract young people to the Amateur Radio
Service, c) help existing Amateurs achieve the greatest
benefit from the Amateur Radio Service and d) make Amateurs
aware that our radio frequencies are in jeopardy from
commercial interests. Here are some of my specific thoughts
on these four areas:

Marketing Amateur Radio To The Public

Many people don't understand the significance of marketing
and sales. The difference is very germane to this
discussion.

Let's say you go into a ham radio store and tell the person
behind the counter you want to buy an ICOM IC-781. He or she
takes your order along with your money and hands you a
radio. In this instance the person is simply an order taker
and not even a sales person. A sales person tries to
convince you to buy a specific product but they are not
marketeers. The people who publish the brochures, run the
advertisements and create your desire to own the IC-781 are
the marketeers. Marketing creates the desire to have
something.

For as long as I can remember, we hams have been order
takers. We have not been salespersons and by no stretch of
the imagination could be called marketeers of ham radio. If
someone expressed their desire to be a ham, or an ex-CB'er
convinced us they were a born-again communicator, we'd "take
their order" and accept them into our ranks. Until
recently, we never tried to be salespersons or marketeers for
our hobby.

Deep down inside the human brain, is a little grey glob that
scientists label the "I've got mine" lobe. In this area of the
Amateur's brain is stored the feeling that we really
don't want any more hams than we already have. We'll never
admit it, even to ourselves, but the feeling is there. More
hams equal more QRM, more problems with the FCC and more
drift away from the way things used to be in the "good ole
days."

More is not always better. More people with an Amateur Radio
license may not have a positive or beneficial effect on the
Amateur Service. We must mold and shape these people in the
traditions that have guided us since the early part of the
century. How we accomplish this will be the subject of
articles in future issues of this journal.

Attracting Young People

When I was a kid, ham radio was a young peoples hobby. My
best friend was a guy named Barry Windsor. Barry and I were
fascinated by ham radio. We used to go over to Sid Dunn's
house every Saturday morning. I never saw Sid without a
cigar in his mouth. It was just another one of his
appendages. When the end of his "stoggie" would get all goopy and
slobbery,
he'd line it up on the edge of the
workbench, along with the other stubs, to dry out.

Anyway, Sid used to take time each week to teach us about
ham radio. He'd work somebody in Upper Slobovia on 20 meters
and our eyes would stand out on six inch stems. Then Sid
would tell us the reason he could do this was (insert
lecture here) his three element beam and how it worked, or
the 304TL amplifier and how it worked, or radio propagation
and how it worked. You get the idea.

Barry and I and some of the other kids pecked away at keys
rather unsuccessfully trying to learn the Morse code. I lost
track of the others but finally made the grade when the FCC,
in their infinite wisdom, created the Novice and Technician
license.

Somehow, someway, we must resurrect the magic aura that
existed back in Sid's hamshack. Essentially, we must try to
give something back to our fraternity in exchange for all
the wonderful things it has given us.

It's not going to be easy! Today kids have computers,
Nintendo games, cars, the opposite sex and Madonna, MTV and
a million other distractions. We've taken the first step to
redress the problem of attracting young people by creating a
new "code-free" license. What this license becomes, and whether
it is successful in attracting newcomers is entirely
up to us. If we don't tell anyone about the Amateur Radio
Service and how easy it is to become a ham, the new
Technician Class license will be a "dud." In short, we must
all make an effort to /b1 market ham radio to the public.

In marketing, you commonly give away a sample which gets the
"hook in and set", to use a fishing metaphor. That's what
the new Technician license can do that for our fraternity.
It can be the "hook" that we use to attract people to
Amateur Radio.

But we must get out and hustle the service to young people.
That's where NARA comes in. We intend to tell our members
how to recruit youngsters. We intend to print stories about
how others have done it successfully.

We believe the place to recruit youngsters is in the schools
as early as possible. Again, we are going to have a lot to
say about our schools in future issues of "The Amateur Radio
Communicator".

Helping Existing Hams

Like it or not, a lot of hams passed their written test
simply by memorizing the questions and the correct answer.
Why not? What's wrong with that? You memorize the code don't
you?

But these hams are not particularly proud of the fact they
don't understand the answers or even the questions. They are
curious about the technical aspects of the Amateur Radio
Service.

I have yet to meet a ham that does not want to improve him
or herself. Some Volunteer Examiners have established
classes to teach people how to become a ham. Who has a class
to teach you how to upgrade from Novice/Technician to
General? Very few, I suspect.

Each issue of "The Amateur Radio Communicator" will have a
theory article. Hopefully they will be as useful and
interesting to existing hams as well as to newcomers. If you
have specific questions that you would like to see answered
in this publication, send them to "Editor- A Touch Of
Class".

Preservation Of "Our" Frequencies-

I put the word "our" in quotes. We seem to think of the radio
spectrum as "ours." A number of bands of frequencies
are loaned for our use, by the Federal Communications
Commission. We can continue to use them so long as it is in
the national interest to do so. Make no mistake about it
fellow hams. The FCC did not let us use parts of the radio
spectrum because they think we are nice guys or gals. They
do so because it is more in the national interest to loan
these frequencies to the Amateur Radio Service than to
someone else. If that equation changes, more frequencies
will be lost to other activities which are perceived by the
FCC to better advance the national interest.

In November 1988, the FCC brought the point forcibly to our
attention. They reminded us, once again, "If you don't use
'em, you're gonna lose 'em!" Some of our bands are barren
waste-lands that we Amateurs seem to be saving for a "rainy
day." Six meters is under utilized except for a few hardy
souls in Southern California. The Commission knew the 220
MHz band was not adequately occupied. It won't be adequately
occupied even when the FCC allocates the 220- 222 MHz
portion for land mobile use. We have already lost the 902
MHz band and the fate of our satellite "S" band will be decided
next year by the World Administrative Radio
Conference (WARC) in Spain.

The 1296 band is priceless. Do you know of anyone who
operates this band? Does your ham store have any 1296 MHz
equipment in stock or do they have to order it? Is there a
1296 MHz repeater in your town. I doubt it.

If we maintain our "business as usual" approach, we are going
to lose more frequencies. A lot more!

73, de Don, W6TNS

Old May 18th 04, 08:41 AM
Jim Hampton

Hans,

What can I say? Here is the place to go:

Everyone is welcome. I'm not going to worry as Don has a *heck* of a group
going.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

ink.net...

---

Old May 18th 04, 06:20 PM
Michael Black

"KØHB" ) writes:
The following, written a few years back by my friend
Don Stoner, W6TNS, (SK) bears repeating. His
organization, NARA, is defunct, but the message
he states in his editorial is still absolutely valid.

73, de Hans, K0HB

The point about being visible has always been obvious to me,
and it makes me want to scream that often it does not seem obvious
to others.

I learned of amateur radio because it was out there. I can't even
remember where I read about it first, maybe a magazine for Scouting
here in Canada, maybe it was "Jack & Jill" or "HIghtlights for Children"
and both of those magazines were aimed at quite a young crowd.

Obviously when I found the hobby electronic magazines a year or so later,
after I had decided I would indeed get a ham licesne, there was still amateur
radio content in them. But while that would have steered people with
an existing predisposition to the hobby into the hobby, it doesn't do
a thing if somebody has no knowledge of the hobby.

But it's rare, and seems increasingly rare with each passing year, to
see references in common areas of society. The local ham clubs
do not promote the hamfests, which at the very least can be of interest
to the electronic and computer hobbyist and might let the hobby rub off
on them. Promoting hamfests is not merely about getting bodies to
the event, it's an excuse to be out there. I'm the one who posts
to the local buy and sell newsgroup about some of the local hamfests,
trying to provide a bit about the event and amateur radio (I always put
a link to the Radio Amateurs of Canada website), making sure it's not
merely the facts to bring in hams to the event. Maybe someone will see
the notice, and take enough interest to look further, and that's as
important as getting people to the event. It would be better if those
involved in the clubs, who were generating the information in the first
place, was doing the simple act of posting a message each time there is a
hamfest. Posting to amateur radio related newsgroups does not reach the
newcomer, or potential newcomer.

Likewise, for some years I've been putting up "bootleg" posters about
one of the local hamfests. I don't do a good job of it, but I do a near
infinitely better job than is done already (ie nothing at all). One year,
I even pointed out that there should be such a poster, hanging from the club's
website, so anyone interested could print up a few, and stick them up,
but no luck. So I just copy the information from the website, stick the
club's logo at the top, and print out some. I think I put up 200 this year,
putting them near some universities, getting them up at the local Ben &
Jerry's putting them not where hams congregate, but where the general public
might see them. Since they have the URL to the club's website, anyone
seeing them has a chance to learn of the hobby, which is far better than
in the days before the internet.

They rarely get the announcements in the various listings of upcoming
events by non-profit groups, though I'm not sure if that's lack of trying
or the publications have to choose what to list due to space.

But we do need to work on this. There was a time when amateur radio
was likely part of the common language of society, even if most were
not hams and might not even know much about the hobby. I think most
were aware of the hobby, and had a vague idea of what it was about.
This was because it was out there in public view. Local stories, friends
of friends, big antennas in the neighbor's back yard.

But I'm not so sure this is the case anymore. It seemed to be much
more visible when I was a kid, thirty five years ago. Someone would come
across it, and something would tempt them enough for them to seek out
more information. But if they don't come across the hobby in the first
place, how could they be interested, how could they do any searches?
It is far easier for us to get the details to them today, but unless
we have a presence out in existing clusters, they will never find our
websites (or whatever).

Michael VE2BVW

Old May 19th 04, 12:30 AM
Phil Kane

On 18 May 2004 17:20:32 GMT, Michael Black wrote:

I learned of amateur radio because it was out there. I can't even
remember where I read about it first, maybe a magazine for Scouting
here in Canada, maybe it was "Jack & Jill" or "HIghtlights for Children"
and both of those magazines were aimed at quite a young crowd.

I learned about SWL-ing and ham radio from "Boy's Life", the
magazine of the Boy Scouts of America, when I was in the 8th grade.
It helped that a close family friend (a non-ham) had been a radio
repair tech in WW-II which had ended only a few years before and he
steered me in the right direction.

After messinmg around listening to and repairing AM and SW radios of
the late 1930s-1940s era, I finally got hooked on ham radio in the
11th Grade at the high school radio club (W2CLE, the oldest HS radio
club in the country, founded before WW-I). I got my Novice/Tech
license at the end of 11th Grade (1952). Along the way I changed my
intended college major from chemistry to electrical engineering.

Neither I nor ham radio nor electrical engineering has been the same
ever since.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old May 20th 04, 03:41 AM