Old June 15th 04, 12:15 AM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
Y'know, with all this discussion about different phonetic alphabets, people
confusing "Papa" with "Japan" and DX/contest folks using a completely different
set and being cornfuzed by anything else, it makes me wonder.

Doesn't all this add up to 'phone modes being "slow", "limited" and
"error-prone"?

No. Just as with Morse, there is proficiency built up by use. With a set
uof headphones, and the ability to adjust the volume and tone to where I
like it, even my rotten ears can work phone nicely. In the field days
and contests where I have worked high power, I have spent a lot of time
with weak phone signals. I have gone from asking for repeats in about 25
percent of the cases to almost never.

In fact, the whole phonetic debate is a little funny, since despite the
kvetching, an experienced operator can pick out the different phonetics
without getting his/her knickers in a twist.

- Mike KB3EIA -