Old August 14th 04, 11:06 AM
S. Hanrahan

Default Instant licensing?

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 19:15:57 -0400, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Mike Coslo
A far cry and big improvement on the bad old days when you passed the test

then
pestered the mailman for 6-8 weeks waiting for the new license to show up

in
the mail. You *could not* use your new privs until the actual license was

in
your possession.

73 de Jim, N2EY

How far back are you talking here? Ever since I was licensed (1992) and
some period before, you could go on the air with the upgraded privileges as
soon as you passed the test so long as you already had a license and used
the appropriate identifier. You did have to have that first license
physically in hand though. At the time I licensed, the FCC was backlogged
and it took closer to 12 weeks for the license to show up. Boy was that a
long wait.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

My novice license took 6 months from the time I tested to the time it
showed up in the mail. Also first licensed in 1992 as well. I went
from non-ham to Extra in exactly a year I was attending test sessions
once every 2 months, my Advanced license showed up in the mail before
my General license.

I was signing /AE until the new Extra callsign arrived. I wasn't
hooked onto the internet at that time in 1993.

Stacey, AA7YA