Old August 14th 04, 11:06 AM
S. Hanrahan

Default Instant licensing?

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 19:15:57 -0400, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Mike Coslo
A far cry and big improvement on the bad old days when you passed the test

then
pestered the mailman for 6-8 weeks waiting for the new license to show up

in
the mail. You *could not* use your new privs until the actual license was

in
your possession.

73 de Jim, N2EY

How far back are you talking here? Ever since I was licensed (1992) and
some period before, you could go on the air with the upgraded privileges as
soon as you passed the test so long as you already had a license and used
the appropriate identifier. You did have to have that first license
physically in hand though. At the time I licensed, the FCC was backlogged
and it took closer to 12 weeks for the license to show up. Boy was that a
long wait.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

My novice license took 6 months from the time I tested to the time it
showed up in the mail. Also first licensed in 1992 as well. I went
from non-ham to Extra in exactly a year I was attending test sessions
once every 2 months, my Advanced license showed up in the mail before
my General license.

I was signing /AE until the new Extra callsign arrived. I wasn't
hooked onto the internet at that time in 1993.

Stacey, AA7YA
Old August 16th 04, 02:19 PM
N2EY

S. Hanrahan wrote in message . ..
On 29 Jul 2004 04:00:50 GMT, PAMNO (N2EY) wrote:

In article UIYNc.188075$JR4.54268@attbi_s54, "King Zulu"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
N2EY" wrote in message
Back in the gud ol' days ('58), the non-renewable Novice license was
good for only 12 months, starting from the application date.

I don't think that's the way it was.

That was the way it was, Jim. Why would I make it up?

I didn't say you made it up. I didn't say you lied. I simply wrote that I don't
think that's how it was back then.

Actually it was that way. My father had a KN7 call and the Novice
license even back in the early 1960's was good for only one year, then
it became null and void.

No argument there! The novice was one-year nonrenewable from its
inception in 1951 to 1967, when it became two-year nonrenewable. (And
"non-retakeable" - one to a customer.)

The dispute was whether the year started when the initial application
was made, or only when the license was actually issued. With the
processing delays of those times, the difference could be weeks or
even months!

All the Novices I knew in the '60s and later received their licenses
only a day or two after the effective date. But in King Zulu's case,
the license date was *months* before it arrived - close to the date of
the initial application.

He upgraded before the year ran out, and
they dropped the "N" from the prefix, and he's held that call since.

Yep. The letter V was also used, as in WV2ABC. Don't know why they
needed two special Novice prefixes...

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old August 16th 04, 08:57 PM
Robert Casey

N2EY wrote:

Yep. The letter V was also used, as in WV2ABC. Don't know why they
needed two special Novice prefixes...

The novice license must have been quite popular in some call districts.
maybe in California?

I've heard some people say that I have a "novice" callsign WA2ISE.

Phonetics for the V novice: West Virginia 3 alpha bravo charlie...
(if they had phone)

Old August 16th 04, 09:47 PM
Phil Kane

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:57:10 GMT, Robert Casey wrote:

N2EY wrote:

Yep. The letter V was also used, as in WV2ABC. Don't know why they
needed two special Novice prefixes...

The novice license must have been quite popular in some call districts.
maybe in California?

The "WN" and "KN" were the Novice parallel for the "W" and "K" Tech
calls in the era when one could hold both. When the "K"/"KN" calls
ran out, they decided to go to the "WA" calls, and "WV" (V for noVice)
became the parallel.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old August 16th 04, 11:56 PM
N2EY

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

The "WN" and "KN" were the Novice parallel for the "W" and "K" Tech
calls in the era when one could hold both. When the "K"/"KN" calls
ran out, they decided to go to the "WA" calls, and "WV" (V for noVice)
became the parallel.

No Vice - I like it!

However, when I got my Novice in 1967, I was issued WN3IYC. Then when I
upgraded, I got WA3IYC. Never heard a "WV" on the air (but I did work WV)

I wonder if someone could get their old WV Novice call back under vanity? Would
be really unique!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 17th 04, 09:57 AM
hotmail user

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:47:42 GMT, "Phil Kane"
wrote:

The "WN" and "KN" were the Novice parallel for the "W" and "K" Tech
calls in the era when one could hold both. When the "K"/"KN" calls
ran out, they decided to go to the "WA" calls, and "WV" (V for noVice)
became the parallel.

I know quite a few WA7's who had those calls issued as novice calls.
The FCC started issuing WA7's in the very early 1970's when the KN7
and WN7 prefixes were used up. One of them a friend of mine had a KN7
call, moved to Sydney, Australia for 2 years, came back, and was
issued a WA7 call.
Old August 17th 04, 09:40 PM
Phil Kane

wrote:

The "WN" and "KN" were the Novice parallel for the "W" and "K" Tech
calls in the era when one could hold both. When the "K"/"KN" calls
ran out, they decided to go to the "WA" calls, and "WV" (V for noVice)
became the parallel.

I know quite a few WA7's who had those calls issued as novice calls.
The FCC started issuing WA7's in the very early 1970's when the KN7
and WN7 prefixes were used up. One of them a friend of mine had a KN7
call, moved to Sydney, Australia for 2 years, came back, and was
issued a WA7 call.

Not all call areas got to use up the KN/WN calls before the
distinction between Novice and Tech calls was abandoned.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old August 19th 04, 03:27 AM
King Zulu

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
He upgraded before the year ran out, and
they dropped the "N" from the prefix, and he's held that call since.

Actually, I've held the call three times, with the K4 call being a vanity
call on this last issue. (Some of us still believe ham calls should indicate
the region you live in. So, I've been a W7 & W1 & WZ8 while living in WN,
NH & OH.) ak

Old August 19th 04, 02:28 PM
s. hanrahan

wrote:

The "WN" and "KN" were the Novice parallel for the "W" and "K" Tech
calls in the era when one could hold both. When the "K"/"KN" calls
ran out, they decided to go to the "WA" calls, and "WV" (V for noVice)
became the parallel.

I know quite a few WA7's who had those calls issued as novice calls.
The FCC started issuing WA7's in the very early 1970's when the KN7
and WN7 prefixes were used up. One of them a friend of mine had a KN7
call, moved to Sydney, Australia for 2 years, came back, and was
issued a WA7 call.

Not all call areas got to use up the KN/WN calls before the
distinction between Novice and Tech calls was abandoned.

I think I made that abundantly clear in my previous post.

Stacey/AA7YA