Old December 6th 04, 09:25 PM
robert casey

Steve Robeson K4YZ wrote:

Got this as a "forward" from a friend. Weird stuff!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The
rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is
bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a
wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Actually there may be a ham radio angle in this. This implies
that, in a digital messaging system like packet or amtor
or such, more error correction should be applied to the
first and last letters of words, and less spent on the
letters in the middle. Thus increasing thruput under
adverse conditions. Or apply a compression scheme on
the middle letters (spend more resources to relay the
letters used in the middle of words, and less resources
on the order of those letters that make up the middle
of words). So when things get noisy the first thing that
gives out is the correct order of the middle letters
of words.