Old December 21st 04, 10:31 PM
Bert Craig

"robert casey" wrote in message
nk.net...

The Question Pool Committee (QPC) of the National Conference of VECs
(NCVEC)
decided recently to postpone revision and release of a revised Extra
Class
(Element 4) question pool until the beginners proposal matters have been
settled. The FCC told the Nation's VECs this past July that any
restructuring
changes on the horizon are "not imminent". As of this writing in early
November, there has been no change in the FCC's status on this matter.

I really want to get on HF, but I am sure as hell not gonna learn the
darn code!

I hated code too but it took me about 3 or so weeks of
practice to get to about 7wpm so I could pass 5wpm.
If I could do it anyone could. I'm not that good
on these sorts of things. So just learn the damm code.

That's the whole crux of it, Robert. It's not the code itself, it's the fact
that there's no open Q & A pool that one could virtually be guaranteed a
pass after a day or two of study for Element 1. Memorizing the 43 required
characters and then practicing enough to pass Element 1 requires approx. 3
or 4 weeks of real study/practice. That's what irks these folk the most.

Do away with Element 1, but also do away with the open Q & A pool...you'll
notice the noise level won't even miss a beat.

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI