Old December 21st 04, 04:45 AM
Lloyd Davies

Default IS the FCC ever gonna get off its high horse and drop the CODE???

I really want to get on HF, but I am sure as hell not gonna learn the darn
code!

Oh, and Rich Whiten and Glenn Baxter suck!!!

Old December 21st 04, 05:10 AM
Charlie

And you're going to act like this on HF too..right???

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

. ..

Old December 21st 04, 12:28 PM
whoever

Read it and weep

VECs Question Pool Committee Anxiously Awaits FCC Action On Beginners
License
Proposals (Puts Extra Class Pool Changes On Hold)

The Question Pool Committee (QPC) of the National Conference of VECs
(NCVEC)
decided recently to postpone revision and release of a revised Extra Class
(Element 4) question pool until the beginners proposal matters have been
settled. The FCC told the Nation's VECs this past July that any
restructuring
changes on the horizon are "not imminent". As of this writing in early
November, there has been no change in the FCC's status on this matter.
Also not imminent are any FCC action on the pending Omnibus review or on
ARRL's Band Planning by Bandwidth Petition.

Old December 21st 04, 02:07 PM
King Zulu

"Lloyd Davies" wrote in message
. ..
I really want to get on HF, but I am sure as hell not gonna learn the darn
code!

I thought the reason we gave up the 11-meter ham band was so codeless folks
like you would be happy, Lloyd.
You don't have to learn the code and you don't have to work ionospheric skip
on the ham bands. It's a free country.

ak

Old December 21st 04, 03:17 PM
Alun

Lloyd Davies wrote in
:

I really want to get on HF, but I am sure as hell not gonna learn the
darn code!

Oh, and Rich Whiten and Glenn Baxter suck!!!

Well, it's only a eighteen months (almost) since the ITU dropped the code
requirement!!

I had no idea that the FCC would even take this long to enact it, but then
neither have Canada, Spain or Italy, AFAIK, albeit there are some stirrings
from the Great Frozen North.

The FCC will drop the code test eventually, after spending years evaluating
all the various hare-brained licencing schemes that have been proposed.
It's just a matter of whether you can wait that long.

73 de Alun, N3KIP

Old December 21st 04, 03:35 PM
styvaen II

"Lloyd Davies" wrote in message
. ..
I really want to get on HF, but I am sure as hell not gonna learn the

darn
code!

Oh, and Rich Whiten and Glenn Baxter suck!!!

SEE Lloyd hard at work over he
http://www.americanangst.com/dingfries.html

Old December 21st 04, 09:20 PM
robert casey

The Question Pool Committee (QPC) of the National Conference of VECs
(NCVEC)
decided recently to postpone revision and release of a revised Extra Class
(Element 4) question pool until the beginners proposal matters have been
settled. The FCC told the Nation's VECs this past July that any
restructuring
changes on the horizon are "not imminent". As of this writing in early
November, there has been no change in the FCC's status on this matter.

I really want to get on HF, but I am sure as hell not gonna learn the
darn code!

I hated code too but it took me about 3 or so weeks of
practice to get to about 7wpm so I could pass 5wpm.
If I could do it anyone could. I'm not that good
on these sorts of things. So just learn the damm code.
Old December 21st 04, 10:31 PM
Bert Craig

"robert casey" wrote in message
nk.net...

The Question Pool Committee (QPC) of the National Conference of VECs
(NCVEC)
decided recently to postpone revision and release of a revised Extra
Class
(Element 4) question pool until the beginners proposal matters have been
settled. The FCC told the Nation's VECs this past July that any
restructuring
changes on the horizon are "not imminent". As of this writing in early
November, there has been no change in the FCC's status on this matter.

I really want to get on HF, but I am sure as hell not gonna learn the
darn code!

I hated code too but it took me about 3 or so weeks of
practice to get to about 7wpm so I could pass 5wpm.
If I could do it anyone could. I'm not that good
on these sorts of things. So just learn the damm code.

That's the whole crux of it, Robert. It's not the code itself, it's the fact
that there's no open Q & A pool that one could virtually be guaranteed a
pass after a day or two of study for Element 1. Memorizing the 43 required
characters and then practicing enough to pass Element 1 requires approx. 3
or 4 weeks of real study/practice. That's what irks these folk the most.

Do away with Element 1, but also do away with the open Q & A pool...you'll
notice the noise level won't even miss a beat.

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old December 22nd 04, 12:39 AM
whoever

NEWS ALERT http://www.arrl.org/
Morse requirement, license restructuring remain on FCC's radar (Dec 21,
2004) -- The ARRL does not anticipate the FCC to offer up any proposals
on the Morse requirement and further restructuring of the Amateur Radio
licensing system until sometime next year. The FCC Wireless
Telecommunications Bureau continues to review thousands of comments it
received on 18 petitions for rule making--including one from the ARRL

Old December 22nd 04, 08:51 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

Lloyd,

Heck, when I decided to get back into amateur radio (after being off the air
between 1969 and 1993), I didn't wait for them to water the tests down even
more. I called for information on when and where the tests were, and when I
found out they were later that same evening, I simply went down and tested.
So, from when I decided to get back in to when I passed my amateur extra was
something like 8 hours. Had I waited for them to drop the code, I'd still
be waiting. BTW, I did not copy any code between 1969 and 1993 with the
sole exception of the code that was sent during the movie "Fantastic
Voyage".

I also didn't have to brush up on theory or regulations. Despite not
knowing where all of the current amateur bands are located, I didn't need
100% to pass the test; neither do you.

Go take the test.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA