Old July 25th 03, 09:55 PM
David Eduardo

"Mark Roberts" wrote in message
CA was in NJ had written:
| David Eduardo wrote:
|
| Some US 50's are 50 day and night; a few are non-directional all hours,
| others go directional at night, others are directional at all hours.

And
| then there are many 50's in the daytime, that reduce to lower levels at
| night... as low as 250 watts!
|
| KIQN/Tooele UT on 1010 runs 50,000w day, 3,100w critical hours and a
| whopping 13w (yes thirteen watts) nights.

That station doesn't have a DA. Might it be possible that KIQN once
had a DA-N and then gave it up?

I think it was a low-power daytimer that upgraded to the best it can get.

Does nighttime coverage really matter any more? How much radio
listening is there at night (after PM drive)? And, more to
the point, is that an audience worth selling to?

In LA, 53.3% of all persons 12+ listen to radio in the 7 to Midnight time
period.

Keep in mind that in deep winter, sunset may happen in the middle of
afternoon drive and sunrise late in morning drive. That means a daytimer in
a middle latitude may operate from 6:30 AM to 4:45 PM. So night operation is
critical.

I wonder if a good, solid cost/benefit analysis has really been
done for stations with limited coverage that are still staying on 24/7.
I suppose the costs these days are marginally low enough that a
small amount of revenue would make it worthwhile.

Since overall ratings performance and pricing are based on 6AM-Mid, Mon-Sun,
you don't see many daytimes doing well anywhere.